Oprah Winfrey Has a Street Named After Her
Oprah Winfrey has been honored with her own Chicago, Illinois street. Outgoing city Mayor Richard Daley gave the TV titan the parting gift as she concludes filming of "The Oprah Winfrey Show", which is shot in Chicago. The block in front of her Harpo Studios home has been renamed Oprah Winfrey Way.
During the ceremony, Daley said, "Your presence in Chicago has been a gift... (You are) a great ambassador for our city." A thrilled Winfrey said, "I just want to say thank you to the mayor and also to the city of Chicago for embracing me and allowing me to take a stand and make a stand here in this city."
The 57-year-old talk show host also gushed that having a street named after her was "better than an Oscar or an Emmy". She added, "It is really just a full-circle miracle story that a little colored girl born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, on a red dirt road ends up with my name on a street in the greatest city in the world, Chicago. So, thank you."
Winfrey will tape the final "Oprah Winfrey Show" at Chicago's United Center on Tuesday, May 17. Titled "Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular", it is set to air consecutively on Monday, May 23 and Tuesday, May 24.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt 'Never Wanted Sex' Prior to Their Split
- Kim Kardashian's Paris Robbery Crime Scene Photos Emerge
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Were Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle