Oprah Winfrey Has a Street Named After Her
Oprah Winfrey has been honored with her own Chicago, Illinois street. Outgoing city Mayor Richard Daley gave the TV titan the parting gift as she concludes filming of "The Oprah Winfrey Show", which is shot in Chicago. The block in front of her Harpo Studios home has been renamed Oprah Winfrey Way.
During the ceremony, Daley said, "Your presence in Chicago has been a gift... (You are) a great ambassador for our city." A thrilled Winfrey said, "I just want to say thank you to the mayor and also to the city of Chicago for embracing me and allowing me to take a stand and make a stand here in this city."
The 57-year-old talk show host also gushed that having a street named after her was "better than an Oscar or an Emmy". She added, "It is really just a full-circle miracle story that a little colored girl born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, on a red dirt road ends up with my name on a street in the greatest city in the world, Chicago. So, thank you."
Winfrey will tape the final "Oprah Winfrey Show" at Chicago's United Center on Tuesday, May 17. Titled "Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular", it is set to air consecutively on Monday, May 23 and Tuesday, May 24.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers