Oprah Winfrey Has a Street Named After Her
Oprah Winfrey has been honored with her own Chicago, Illinois street. Outgoing city Mayor Richard Daley gave the TV titan the parting gift as she concludes filming of "The Oprah Winfrey Show", which is shot in Chicago. The block in front of her Harpo Studios home has been renamed Oprah Winfrey Way.
During the ceremony, Daley said, "Your presence in Chicago has been a gift... (You are) a great ambassador for our city." A thrilled Winfrey said, "I just want to say thank you to the mayor and also to the city of Chicago for embracing me and allowing me to take a stand and make a stand here in this city."
The 57-year-old talk show host also gushed that having a street named after her was "better than an Oscar or an Emmy". She added, "It is really just a full-circle miracle story that a little colored girl born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, on a red dirt road ends up with my name on a street in the greatest city in the world, Chicago. So, thank you."
Winfrey will tape the final "Oprah Winfrey Show" at Chicago's United Center on Tuesday, May 17. Titled "Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular", it is set to air consecutively on Monday, May 23 and Tuesday, May 24.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd