Nicki Minaj Uncomfortable With Eminem's Homophobic Slur in Song
Nicki Minaj felt uncomfortable with Eminem's homophobic slur in their track "Roman's Revenge" but hoped her gay fans would realize he was "playing a role" and rapping as his evil alter ego, Slim Shady.
Minaj faced a backlash from fans last year after releasing the controversial collaboration, in which Eminem uses the derogatory term "f**got". The "Check It Out" star admits she worried about including the line in the song and even asked her gay friends what they thought of the lyric.
Minaj tells Out.com, "You know, if I'm being honest, I didn't like (him using it). I spoke to everyone I knew about it. I spoke to my hairdresser, who's one of my closest friends. I sat him down and said, 'Terrence, what do you think about this? How does this make you feel?' And we had a long, long talk. And he said he didn't feel like Eminem was talking about a gay person. He felt like it was a word being used to describe a straight man, and he didn't take offence to it."
"It's Eminem - I felt like we were creating a movie. And in the same way, I feel like if you were to watch your favorite actor or actress say 'f**got' or say "n**ger" in a movie, you don't hate them because it's like they're playing a role. Roman's Revenge was more like a theatrical piece. I was a character and (Eminem) was a character. Of course, when it comes to creativity, there's such a thin line between creativity and something being offensive."
More Nicki Minaj News
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes