'Road Trip' Actress Dies After Having Knee Surgery
Plus-sized "Road Trip" actress Mia Amber Davis has died following complications from knee surgery. She was 36.
Davis underwent surgery to correct an old sports injury in Los Angeles on Monday, May 9, but she was re-admitted to a hospital on Tuesday, May 10 after complaining of dizziness. She later lost consciousness and was subsequently declared dead.
Her husband of three years, Mike Yard, has been left devastated by the sudden loss and is demanding answers, telling TMZ.com, "I want to know what happened to my wife."
The star rose to fame as one of the first black full-figured models and branched out into acting in 2000, when she landed a role in director Todd Phillips' hit comedy "Road Trip", starring as Rhonda, the curvaceous love interest of actor DJ Qualls' geeky character Kyle Edwards. At the time of the shoot, she weighed in at 300 pounds (136 kilograms).
She went on to appear as an uncredited stand-in for rapper-turned-actress Queen Latifah in TV movie "Life Support" and romantic comedy "The Perfect Holiday", both in 2007.
Hip-hop star Ahmir '?uestlove' Thompson of The Roots has paid tribute to Davis on his Twitter page, writing, "Road Trip was JUST on TV night b4 (sic) last! R.I.P. Mia Amber Davis, Plus-Size Model & Road Trip Comic Seductress."
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'