Jennifer Hudson Didn't Want Beyonce to Take 'Dreamgirls' Fame
Jennifer Hudson refused to let Beyonce Knowles or Jamie Foxx steal the spotlight as they promoted "Dreamgirls" because she saw the film as her "chance" to make it big after losing out on the "American Idol" crown.
Hudson found fame after appearing on "American Idol" in 2004, finishing in seventh place in the singing contest. The talented 29-year-old went on to make her big screen debut in the 2006 movie musical, alongside the "Crazy in Love" hitmaker, Foxx and Eddie Murphy.
Hudson - who played emerging singer Effie White - admits she was keen to "hide behind" the superstars in the film - but she began to embrace the attention as the promotional trail picked up speed. She tells British chat show host Alan Titchmarsh, "I was in a film with Beyonce, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx - I was like, 'I can hide behind these people, nobody's paying attention to little old me back here.' "
"Then once we finished the film and started getting the buzz and everyone started talking about Jennifer, I'm like 'Oh my God, everyone's looking at me, the pressure'...That's where 'American Idol' came in."
"I felt like I learned [a] lesson from 'Idol' where I let different things intimidate me from being on the show, so I knew by the time I got to my second chance, which was 'Dreamgirls', I was like, 'I'm not letting anyone interrupt my thing or discourage me.' I love Beyonce and I love Jamie but they got to move out my way and let me do my thing because this is my chance, right here. And I took it and ran with it."
Hudson went on to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for "Dreamgirls".
More Jennifer Hudson News
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie