Jennifer Hudson Didn't Want Beyonce to Take 'Dreamgirls' Fame
Jennifer Hudson refused to let Beyonce Knowles or Jamie Foxx steal the spotlight as they promoted "Dreamgirls" because she saw the film as her "chance" to make it big after losing out on the "American Idol" crown.
Hudson found fame after appearing on "American Idol" in 2004, finishing in seventh place in the singing contest. The talented 29-year-old went on to make her big screen debut in the 2006 movie musical, alongside the "Crazy in Love" hitmaker, Foxx and Eddie Murphy.
Hudson - who played emerging singer Effie White - admits she was keen to "hide behind" the superstars in the film - but she began to embrace the attention as the promotional trail picked up speed. She tells British chat show host Alan Titchmarsh, "I was in a film with Beyonce, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx - I was like, 'I can hide behind these people, nobody's paying attention to little old me back here.' "
"Then once we finished the film and started getting the buzz and everyone started talking about Jennifer, I'm like 'Oh my God, everyone's looking at me, the pressure'...That's where 'American Idol' came in."
"I felt like I learned [a] lesson from 'Idol' where I let different things intimidate me from being on the show, so I knew by the time I got to my second chance, which was 'Dreamgirls', I was like, 'I'm not letting anyone interrupt my thing or discourage me.' I love Beyonce and I love Jamie but they got to move out my way and let me do my thing because this is my chance, right here. And I took it and ran with it."
Hudson went on to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for "Dreamgirls".
More Jennifer Hudson News
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys Welcome First Child
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West