Jean-Claude Van Damme Suffers High-Frequency Hearing Loss
Jean-Claude Van Damme's doctor has ordered the movie star to don protective ear wear on film sets, after diagnosing him with high-frequency hearing loss. Years of bangs and booms in high-action movies have left the "Bloodsport" star's hearing impaired, and he recently sought expert help to correct his partial deafness.
The doctor's session was shown on U.K. TV documentary series "Jean Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors" on Tuesday, May 10, and the tough guy revealed, "I shot lots of guns in movies but I'm able to hear unusual sounds, like if you slide fax paper in the living room I can hear it, like a German Shepherd."
Van Damme then underwent several tests before he was diagnosed with high-frequency hearing loss - and he was urged to protect his ears as much as possible. The doctor told him, "There is a difference in hearing in high frequencies between both sides (of his ears), which means if many people are talking together in a group, it's quite difficult for you to understand someone speaking."
"You hear, but you can't understand. That's the problem when there's a high-frequency hearing loss. What you can do is not make it worse, so use ear protection when you go out (and shoot) movies."
During the medical consultation, Van Damme was also warned he may need to undergo surgery on his nose in the future, due to a deviated septum.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'