Jean-Claude Van Damme Suffers High-Frequency Hearing Loss
Jean-Claude Van Damme's doctor has ordered the movie star to don protective ear wear on film sets, after diagnosing him with high-frequency hearing loss. Years of bangs and booms in high-action movies have left the "Bloodsport" star's hearing impaired, and he recently sought expert help to correct his partial deafness.
The doctor's session was shown on U.K. TV documentary series "Jean Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors" on Tuesday, May 10, and the tough guy revealed, "I shot lots of guns in movies but I'm able to hear unusual sounds, like if you slide fax paper in the living room I can hear it, like a German Shepherd."
Van Damme then underwent several tests before he was diagnosed with high-frequency hearing loss - and he was urged to protect his ears as much as possible. The doctor told him, "There is a difference in hearing in high frequencies between both sides (of his ears), which means if many people are talking together in a group, it's quite difficult for you to understand someone speaking."
"You hear, but you can't understand. That's the problem when there's a high-frequency hearing loss. What you can do is not make it worse, so use ear protection when you go out (and shoot) movies."
During the medical consultation, Van Damme was also warned he may need to undergo surgery on his nose in the future, due to a deviated septum.
More Jean-Claude Van Damme News
- Chris Evans' Steve Rogers Is No Longer Captain America in MCU, Russo Brothers Confirm
- 'Blade Runner 2' Set Collapses, Killing Construction Worker
- Scott Eastwood Makes Emotional Phone Call to Father of His Ex Who Died in Car Crash
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016