Michael Stipe 'Lost His Mind' as He Battled Bulimia
Michael Stipe experienced a breakdown after the band R.E.M. shot to fame in the 1980s and spent a year in the grip of the eating disorder.
Stipe admits he struggled to deal with the group's success, and ended up "unravelling on the inside".
He tells Interview magazine, "I distinctly remember a conversation with my band in the van where I was having a complete meltdown. It was 1984, I think, and I was huddled in the back corner of our van and saying, 'I can't do this. I can't do this.' I didn't want to play any more shows. I just wanted to stop. I went through this difficult time when we were making our third record where I kind of lost my mind. That's when the bulimia kicked in. And that's when I got really freaky..."
"It was like that thing that happens in prison. People can't control anything in their environment so they start manipulating their body with tattoos and pumping up... It was rough.... At that point we were playing our own shows and people liked us, but I was unravelling on the inside."
Stipe's weight plummeted and he became so sick, he was convinced he had been struck down with AIDS.
He adds, "I was also vegetarian, trying to eat from fast-food restaurants without meat. I didn't know how to eat properly and I was starving. I was adrenaline to the eyeballs from performing. I was afraid that I was sick with AIDS. We were playing five shows a week. I even went through a period of abstinence where I didn't drink and stopped having sex. Which is crazy."
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation