Michael Stipe 'Lost His Mind' as He Battled Bulimia
Michael Stipe experienced a breakdown after the band R.E.M. shot to fame in the 1980s and spent a year in the grip of the eating disorder.
Stipe admits he struggled to deal with the group's success, and ended up "unravelling on the inside".
He tells Interview magazine, "I distinctly remember a conversation with my band in the van where I was having a complete meltdown. It was 1984, I think, and I was huddled in the back corner of our van and saying, 'I can't do this. I can't do this.' I didn't want to play any more shows. I just wanted to stop. I went through this difficult time when we were making our third record where I kind of lost my mind. That's when the bulimia kicked in. And that's when I got really freaky..."
"It was like that thing that happens in prison. People can't control anything in their environment so they start manipulating their body with tattoos and pumping up... It was rough.... At that point we were playing our own shows and people liked us, but I was unravelling on the inside."
Stipe's weight plummeted and he became so sick, he was convinced he had been struck down with AIDS.
He adds, "I was also vegetarian, trying to eat from fast-food restaurants without meat. I didn't know how to eat properly and I was starving. I was adrenaline to the eyeballs from performing. I was afraid that I was sick with AIDS. We were playing five shows a week. I even went through a period of abstinence where I didn't drink and stopped having sex. Which is crazy."
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'