Golf Legend Seve Ballesteros Dies
The sports icon Seve Ballesteros died on Saturday morning, May 7, two-and-a-half years after doctors diagnosed him with two malignant brain tumors.
A message posted on Ballesteros' website reads, "Today, at 2.10am Spanish time, Seve Ballesteros passed away peacefully surrounded by his family at his home in Pedrena. The Ballesteros family is very grateful for all the support and gestures of love that have been received since Seve was diagnosed with a brain tumor on October 5, 2008 at Madrid Hospital la Paz."
"...The family asks for respect and privacy at such a painful time. Thank you very much."
CNN host Piers Morgan has paid tribute to the golfer, writing on Twitter, "RIP Seve Ballesteros - greatest genius golf has ever seen."
The golfer, who retired from the sport in 2007, won several major titles throughout his career - including three British Opens and two triumphs at the Augusta Masters.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance