Kanye West Accused of Failing to Credit Songwriter Consequence
The "Stronger" star Kanye West recruited Consequence for his first four albums, but the pals fell out in 2009 when West refused to appear on his friend's sophomore album.
Consequence tells MTV, "Every album that he (West) had, I've been involved from a creative aspect in writing of songs. Check the credits, I get that publishing."
He subsequently split from West's G.O.O.D. Music label and has now spoken out to lay claim to one of the star's most famous lines from the song "Champion", a track on 2007's "Graduation".
The disgruntled rapper, whose cousin is A Tribe Called Quest icon %Q-Tip%, insists he came up with the catchy rhyme: "We were sorta like Will Smith and his son/In the movie; I ain't talkin' about the rich one."
Consequence says, "One record that I never got credit for which always stuck out in my mind was that I helped out with some of the rhymes from 'Champion'. That was my brain thought. I mean, there's a lot of joints (that were not credited)."
But the rising star has learned his lesson and is now taking control of his own destiny: "As a man, you can't hang your fate on no other man, but when you think the man is your brother... you would think it would dawn on somebody to say, 'Hey, let me make sure this all right, let me make sure my guy is good.' If I'm not your guy, that's fine; let's just have clarity on it."
More Kanye West News
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked