Kanye West Accused of Failing to Credit Songwriter Consequence
The "Stronger" star Kanye West recruited Consequence for his first four albums, but the pals fell out in 2009 when West refused to appear on his friend's sophomore album.
Consequence tells MTV, "Every album that he (West) had, I've been involved from a creative aspect in writing of songs. Check the credits, I get that publishing."
He subsequently split from West's G.O.O.D. Music label and has now spoken out to lay claim to one of the star's most famous lines from the song "Champion", a track on 2007's "Graduation".
The disgruntled rapper, whose cousin is A Tribe Called Quest icon %Q-Tip%, insists he came up with the catchy rhyme: "We were sorta like Will Smith and his son/In the movie; I ain't talkin' about the rich one."
Consequence says, "One record that I never got credit for which always stuck out in my mind was that I helped out with some of the rhymes from 'Champion'. That was my brain thought. I mean, there's a lot of joints (that were not credited)."
But the rising star has learned his lesson and is now taking control of his own destiny: "As a man, you can't hang your fate on no other man, but when you think the man is your brother... you would think it would dawn on somebody to say, 'Hey, let me make sure this all right, let me make sure my guy is good.' If I'm not your guy, that's fine; let's just have clarity on it."
More Kanye West News
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March