Simon Cowell Beats Elton John on U.K. Music Rich List
Talent show tycoon Simon Cowell is laughing all the way to the bank after jumping above Elton John and Mick Jagger in the rich stakes, according to Britain's Sunday Times Rich List.
The music mogul, famed for his judging roles on "American Idol" and "The X Factor", rose from 11th place to number six on the newspaper's 2011 music millionaires countdown thanks to his staggering $320 million (GBP200 million) fortune.
His wealth, which has increased by $56 million (GBP35 million) since 2010, takes him above rock legends John and Jagger, who are in the seventh and eighth place on the list, with estimated bank balances of $312 million (GBP195 million) and $304 million (GBP190 million) respectively.
Sitting atop the list is Clive Calder, who sold Zomba Records in 2002 and has more than $2 billion in the bank. Others in the money include Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber ($1.8 billion), Sir Cameron Mackintosh ($1.1 billion), Sir Paul McCartney ($792 million/GBP495 million), Simon Fuller ($600 million/GBP375 million), Sting ($288 million/GBP180 million) and Keith Richards ($280 million/GBP175 million).
But they have some competition from a set of modern money makers in the music industry - Welsh opera star Katherine Jenkins is sitting pretty with a $20 million (GBP13 million) fortune, followed closely by Cheryl Cole, Leona Lewis and Katie Melua who all have $19 million (GBP12 million). Joss Stone, Charlotte Church, Craig David, Paolo Nutini, Adele, Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield, Duffy and Amy Winehouse all have approximate fortunes of between $14 million (GBP9 million) and $9 million (GBP6 million).
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle