Shania Twain Still Smarting From Marriage Split, Betrayal
Unknown to Shania Twain, her best friend and assistant, Marie-Anne Thiebaud, was romancing Mutt Lange behind her back.
Opening up about the betrayal for her upcoming TV special, "Why Not? With Shania Twain" recalls turning to her pal when she first started suspecting something was wrong.
She says, "She was my confidante, somebody who understood."
"I said, 'Marie-Anne, don't you think that my husband is acting strange?' and she said, 'No, I don't see anything strange... He's fine.' All Marie-Anne did through the whole thing was comfort me, telling me, 'Everything's fine' - and I believed her and I accepted it as being genuine."
Thiebaud's husband, Frederic, who became Twain's spouse on New Year's Day, admits he uncovered the affair shortly after Lange filed for divorce from the singer - and decided to tell the star that her husband had been cheating on her with his wife.
He says, "I had to tell her... She was really heartbroken."
Twain recalls, "It really hurt. First I found out my marriage was over and then the next day I found out about the affair. My own friend, who I had confided in. I still can't get my head around that."
Appearing on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on Tuesday, Twain revealed she wanted to kill herself as the drama unfolded: "I just wanted to go to bed and never get up."
And in her new memoir, "From This Moment On", Twain reveals the heartbreak left her with the shivers.
Reading from the book on Oprah, she said, "I was freezing cold all the time and my only relief came when I'd strip off my clothes and climb into a steaming hot bath... five times a day... I'd be shivering most of the time, shaking uncontrollably... I couldn't get rid of the chills."
More Shania Twain News
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed