Shania Twain Still Smarting From Marriage Split, Betrayal
Unknown to Shania Twain, her best friend and assistant, Marie-Anne Thiebaud, was romancing Mutt Lange behind her back.
Opening up about the betrayal for her upcoming TV special, "Why Not? With Shania Twain" recalls turning to her pal when she first started suspecting something was wrong.
She says, "She was my confidante, somebody who understood."
"I said, 'Marie-Anne, don't you think that my husband is acting strange?' and she said, 'No, I don't see anything strange... He's fine.' All Marie-Anne did through the whole thing was comfort me, telling me, 'Everything's fine' - and I believed her and I accepted it as being genuine."
Thiebaud's husband, Frederic, who became Twain's spouse on New Year's Day, admits he uncovered the affair shortly after Lange filed for divorce from the singer - and decided to tell the star that her husband had been cheating on her with his wife.
He says, "I had to tell her... She was really heartbroken."
Twain recalls, "It really hurt. First I found out my marriage was over and then the next day I found out about the affair. My own friend, who I had confided in. I still can't get my head around that."
Appearing on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on Tuesday, Twain revealed she wanted to kill herself as the drama unfolded: "I just wanted to go to bed and never get up."
And in her new memoir, "From This Moment On", Twain reveals the heartbreak left her with the shivers.
Reading from the book on Oprah, she said, "I was freezing cold all the time and my only relief came when I'd strip off my clothes and climb into a steaming hot bath... five times a day... I'd be shivering most of the time, shaking uncontrollably... I couldn't get rid of the chills."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival