Sam Claflin Ditched Soccer Hopes for Acting
Sam Claflin was a keen footballer in his youth and planned to sign up for English Premier League club Norwich City, but his sporting career was cut short when he suffered a broken ankle.
Sam Claflin's mother suggested he tried his hand at acting instead and he won roles in several minor British TV shows - and less than two years later he's been plucked from obscurity to star as Johnny Depp's new sidekick in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides".
Claflin tells Empire magazine, "I realised I was too weak to play football at an adult level. As I was a drama queen on the pitch, my mum said, 'You should try acting on stage.'... The biggest challenge (on the Pirates of the Caribbean set) has been staying focused. You have to pinch yourself, say, 'I am working... but look at that cave!'"
Orlando Bloom quit the swashbuckling franchise after 2007's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" to concentrate on more theatre work.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked