Steven Patrick Morrissey Apologises for 'Difficult' Interview
The former The Smiths frontman, Steven Patrick Morrissey recorded a chat with Dermot O'leary which was broadcast on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday.
During the interview, he branded the recent royal wedding "dreadful" and criticised other BBC presenters before making a series of prickly comments about O'Leary, telling listeners, "He doesn't listen - he gets paid all this money."
He also told the presenter, "There is just something about your face that says 'Please lie to me and I will believe you'", prompting O'Leary to later tell the singer, "(You need to) listen and not just wait for your chance to talk."
The interview ended with a tense exchange in which O'Leary said, "It's been really difficult but I've enjoyed it", with Morrissey replying, "You don't rule the world, Dermot."
Morrissey has now issued a statement apologising for his attitude during the interview and admitting he was in a "foul mood" following the royal wedding and the death of punk icon Poly Styrene last week.
He writes, "I'm sorry I made the (Dermot) O'Leary radio interview so difficult but I was in a foul mood, having spent a full week surrounded by the royal dreading (sic). England may very well be a Windsor dictatorship, but - PR Weddings aside, it is usually quite bearable..."
"During the week of the royal dreading, Poly Styrene died. Having made an enormous contribution to British art and sound - at a desperate time when so many of us needed her - Poly Styrene's death was all but ignored by the British television news media, who instead rained hours and hours of blubbering praise onto Kate Middleton - a woman about whom nothing is known on a personal level. The message is clear, What you achieve in life means nothing compared to what you are born into. Is this Syria?"
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake