Aretha Franklin Taps Little Known Star to Play in Her Biopic
The legendary singer Aretha Franklin has got her eye on Patina Miller, the star of Whoopi Goldberg's musical "Sister Act", for the role of the young Aretha - among others.
She says, "Finally we've got the financing, we've got the right producer. I'm waiting for the script... And there's a new girl in the game now - Whoopi's little girl from 'Sister Act'."
"There's (also) Fantasia Barrino, there's Jennifer Hudson, and then the producer has some ideas."
The "Respect" singer plans to check out Miller's talents in person when she visits "Sister Act" on Sunday.
Aretha Franklin recently suggested Halle Berry should portray her in the film, but the "X-Men" star declined, insisting she didn't feel comfortable taking on the part because she couldn't sing.
The singer also has some other important casting ideas - she'd like Denzel Washington to play her father and "Iron Man" star Terrence Howard to portray Smokey Robinson.
More Aretha Franklin News
- Justin Bieber Exposes His Upper Thighs During Outing
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M