Michael Rapaport Pressed on With Rap Documentary Despite Problems
The "Prison Break" Michael Rapaport star admits he encountered a number of problems as he tried to bring "Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest" to the big screen.
The biggest obstacle came when he had a public falling out with group founding member Q-Tip about the content of the movie, but rap fan Michael Rapaport stuck by his dream to see the project through to the end.
He tells WENN, "It's a love letter to hip-hop; it's a love letter to A Tribe Called Quest. Their music has meant something to me since I first heard it. I grew up listening to hip-hop on the radio... and doing it was a labour of love."
"I've been wanting to direct a movie for 10 years now and I knew the only way to get it done was to do something I was passionate about and I was passionate about telling their story."
"The easiest thing about making this movie was starting it. Everything else has been a challenge, but getting started was a couple of phone calls."
And Rapaport hopes the documentary, which had its New York premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on Wednesday, will introduce younger fans of rap to one of the greatest hip-hop acts of all time.
He says, "I want people to be reminded about how special that time in hip-hop was, and to be reminded of how A Tribe Called Quest was. I want them to have a good time and if you've never heard of A Tribe Called Quest or heard their music, I want you to be introduced to them."
- So Cute! Liam Payne Shares Rare Photo of Him and Son Bear in Matching Yeezy Trainers
- Donald Trump Stops a Call With the Irish PM to Compliment Female Reporter's 'Nice Smile'
- Kristen Wiig Joins Jimmy Fallon in Funny Doctor Skit of New Mad Lib Theater
- Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Finds Its Drummer in 'X-Men' Actor Ben Hardy
- Kris Jenner and David Foster Reportedly Have a Dinner Date
- Chrissy Teigen Accidentally Flashes Bare Boob When Dancing With John Legend During His Concert
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway