Mark Ruffalo Finds Helping Homeless Rewarding
Actor/director Mark Ruffalo continues to dedicate his spare time to helping the homeless after lending a hand in a soup kitchen as part of his research for new movie "Sympathy for Delicious". "The Kids Are All Right" star takes on double duty in the film, featuring in his own directorial debut as a priest who works for a homeless shelter, and he wanted to make sure he understood all aspects of the role by teaming up with a local Los Angeles charity to volunteer for himself.
Ruffalo took to the streets of Skid Row, one of the city's most notoriously violent homeless districts, to serve up hot meals and admits he found the work so rewarding, he likes to help feed the homeless whenever he can. He tells WENN, "We spent a lot of time feeding the homeless. I had a priest who was my consultant, Father James Dugan, who was a Jesuit homeless activist who had a homeless shelter in Hollywood."
"We spent a lot of time on Skid Row feeding the homeless as well. There's a lot of grace in just a simple act of giving people the barest of necessities, food, water and shelter. It's very moving and quite beautiful and very poetic; they're essentially pretty sweet people who happen to be down on their luck. It's a huge population in Los Angeles and it becomes apparent that it's not hard to get there these days (to become homeless). I'm still involved when I can be with The Love Affiliation (organization which feeds the homeless) in New York."
More Mark Ruffalo News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media