Daughter Addresses Cary Grant's Gay Rumor in Memoir
Hollywood icon Cary Grant's daughter has laughed off long-running rumors about her father's sexuality in a new memoir. The British actor's only child, Jennifer, has put pen to paper to reveal all about life with the "To Catch a Thief" star in "Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant", which also includes rare photos and personal mementos of their time together before his death in 1986 at the age of 82.
In the book, Jennifer, now 45, admits her famous father was always intrigued by the gay rumors and may have even played up the reports on purpose. She writes, "Can't blame men for wanting him, and wouldn't be surprised if Dad even mildly flirted back."
"When the question arises, it generally speaks more about the person asking. (But) Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong."
Jennifer insists she is a living testament to her dad's legendary charm, adding: "OK, I had a crush on Dad. OK, more than a little crush on Dad. My other real crushes were (singer) Donny Osmond and (French actor) Jean-Paul Belmondo."
Grant's daughter also touches on her dad's four-year marriage to her mother, actress Dyan Cannon, in 1965, admitting it was never going to work out in the long term because both stars were so headstrong: "Something in me has always felt that my parents came together to make me."
And Jennifer has also taken the opportunity to address claims the actor was tight with money, writing, "In my experience, Dad was neither cheap nor excessive. Which, for a wealthy man, is remarkable."
"Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant" is due for release next week (beginning May 2).
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says