Michael Douglas Supporting Canadian Hospital
The Hollywood star Michael Douglas was first examined by doctors in early 2010 after complaining of a sore throat, and he claims he was put on a course of antibiotics after the medics failed to spot the growth.
He then went through "a litany of doctors and tests" before he was eventually diagnosed with throat cancer by physicians at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, Canada. He subsequently underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment and was later given the all-clear.
Douglas, who owns a home near Montreal, is now showing his gratitude to the doctors at the hospital by agreeing to appear at a charity fundraiser for the facility's affiliated McGill University's head and neck cancer fund.
Jewish General Hospital spokesman Allen Burry, says, "That's where he found out he had his cancer. He was happy to do it (the fundraiser)."
Dr. Saul Frenkiel, one of the event's organisers, adds, "It was his very gracious offer to help us in view of his own battle with throat cancer... Certainly, Michael Douglas... helps to bring to the attention of the public the need to do important research in the head and neck cancer field. We were very appreciative of his kind support - it was a gracious personal offer and certainly reflected his own inner personality and willingness to help battle head and neck cancer."
The actor and his wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones, are also contributing to an auction at the event by offering up an afternoon of their company playing golf at the local course. The fundraiser takes place in Montreal on May 3.
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Tops Box Office, 'Wonder Woman' Sets New Record
- A$AP Rocky Involved in a Fight During Kendrick Lamar's Set at Pre-BET Awards Party
- Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season
- BET Awards 2017: Leslie Jones Mocks Amber Rose's 'Bush' Pic, Pokes Fun at Young Rappers' Names
- BET Awards 2017: Jada Pinkett Smith and Cardi B Ditch Bras, Blac Chyna Flashes Butt on Red Carpet
- Lorde Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Melodrama'
- New 'Marvel's Inhumans' Poster Reveals First Look at Attilan
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors