Fernanda Romero Sentenced to Jail in Marriage Fraud Case
Mexican actress Fernanda Romero has been sentenced to 30 days behind bars after admitting to lying to immigration officials in a bid to gain U.S. residency. In January, the "Drag Me to Hell" star pleaded guilty to making a false statement to authorities investigating her sham marriage to American musician Kent Ross.
On Monday, April 25, U.S. District Judge Manuel Real ordered both Romero and Ross to spend 30 days behind bars. However, the sentence will only be served on weekends, according to the Associated Press (AP). "It's disappointing. Ms. Romero is remorseful for what happened," said Vicki Podberesky, one of the actress' attorneys, after the hearing.
Romero and Ross were arrested in April last year on suspicion of duping immigration officials about their marital status after her ex-boyfriend turned her in. At a trial last summer, federal prosecutors brought evidence that the pair lived in separate homes. A mistrial was declared in September, but the two later pled guilty to charges of making false statements.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'