Fernanda Romero Sentenced to Jail in Marriage Fraud Case
Mexican actress Fernanda Romero has been sentenced to 30 days behind bars after admitting to lying to immigration officials in a bid to gain U.S. residency. In January, the "Drag Me to Hell" star pleaded guilty to making a false statement to authorities investigating her sham marriage to American musician Kent Ross.
On Monday, April 25, U.S. District Judge Manuel Real ordered both Romero and Ross to spend 30 days behind bars. However, the sentence will only be served on weekends, according to the Associated Press (AP). "It's disappointing. Ms. Romero is remorseful for what happened," said Vicki Podberesky, one of the actress' attorneys, after the hearing.
Romero and Ross were arrested in April last year on suspicion of duping immigration officials about their marital status after her ex-boyfriend turned her in. At a trial last summer, federal prosecutors brought evidence that the pair lived in separate homes. A mistrial was declared in September, but the two later pled guilty to charges of making false statements.
- Officially Back On? Kylie Jenner Tags Tyga on Her Booty In This Instagram Photo
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?