Fernanda Romero Sentenced to Jail in Marriage Fraud Case
Mexican actress Fernanda Romero has been sentenced to 30 days behind bars after admitting to lying to immigration officials in a bid to gain U.S. residency. In January, the "Drag Me to Hell" star pleaded guilty to making a false statement to authorities investigating her sham marriage to American musician Kent Ross.
On Monday, April 25, U.S. District Judge Manuel Real ordered both Romero and Ross to spend 30 days behind bars. However, the sentence will only be served on weekends, according to the Associated Press (AP). "It's disappointing. Ms. Romero is remorseful for what happened," said Vicki Podberesky, one of the actress' attorneys, after the hearing.
Romero and Ross were arrested in April last year on suspicion of duping immigration officials about their marital status after her ex-boyfriend turned her in. At a trial last summer, federal prosecutors brought evidence that the pair lived in separate homes. A mistrial was declared in September, but the two later pled guilty to charges of making false statements.
- Cara Delevingne Goes Bottomless to Raise Awareness for Cancer. See the Racy Snap
- Kim and Kourtney Throw Pampering Session for Khloe Kardashian Following Her Second Divorce Filing
- Listen to The Weeknd and Cashmere Cat's 'Wild Love' Collab
- Robert Zemeckis Developing Noah's Ark in Space for NBC
- Kylie Jenner Flashes Her Bra Like Kendall After Denying Boob Job Rumors
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Put Their Wedding on Hold. Find Out Why!
- Usher Releases Two New Tracks Off 'Hard II Love'
- Rihanna Gets the Biggest Gift Ever From Drake in Honor of Her VMAs Win