Fernanda Romero Sentenced to Jail in Marriage Fraud Case
Mexican actress Fernanda Romero has been sentenced to 30 days behind bars after admitting to lying to immigration officials in a bid to gain U.S. residency. In January, the "Drag Me to Hell" star pleaded guilty to making a false statement to authorities investigating her sham marriage to American musician Kent Ross.
On Monday, April 25, U.S. District Judge Manuel Real ordered both Romero and Ross to spend 30 days behind bars. However, the sentence will only be served on weekends, according to the Associated Press (AP). "It's disappointing. Ms. Romero is remorseful for what happened," said Vicki Podberesky, one of the actress' attorneys, after the hearing.
Romero and Ross were arrested in April last year on suspicion of duping immigration officials about their marital status after her ex-boyfriend turned her in. At a trial last summer, federal prosecutors brought evidence that the pair lived in separate homes. A mistrial was declared in September, but the two later pled guilty to charges of making false statements.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics