Fernanda Romero Sentenced to Jail in Marriage Fraud Case
Mexican actress Fernanda Romero has been sentenced to 30 days behind bars after admitting to lying to immigration officials in a bid to gain U.S. residency. In January, the "Drag Me to Hell" star pleaded guilty to making a false statement to authorities investigating her sham marriage to American musician Kent Ross.
On Monday, April 25, U.S. District Judge Manuel Real ordered both Romero and Ross to spend 30 days behind bars. However, the sentence will only be served on weekends, according to the Associated Press (AP). "It's disappointing. Ms. Romero is remorseful for what happened," said Vicki Podberesky, one of the actress' attorneys, after the hearing.
Romero and Ross were arrested in April last year on suspicion of duping immigration officials about their marital status after her ex-boyfriend turned her in. At a trial last summer, federal prosecutors brought evidence that the pair lived in separate homes. A mistrial was declared in September, but the two later pled guilty to charges of making false statements.
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna