Sir Elton John: 'Princess Diana Would Be Very Happy With Prince William's Choice'
The "Rocket Man" hitmaker Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish will be among the guests as the British royal exchanges vows with Kate Middleton at Westminster Abbey in London on Friday.
Sir Elton admits the day will be bittersweet without the groom's mother, Princess Diana, in attendance, and returning to the venue where he sang at the late royal's funeral 14 years ago will bring back painful memories.
But the rocker insists he's looking forward to the Prince's big day and is sure Diana would be as delighted as he is to see Prince William settle down with his college sweetheart.
During an interview on U.S. TV's "Good Morning America" on Monday, Sir Elton says, "The last time we were in Westminster Abbey, my heart sank when I saw those two young boys (Princes William and Harry) walking behind the coffin. I thought that was the hardest thing, I can't imagine at that young age, having to walk in public, following your mother's coffin. And the next time we're in the Abbey, it's to see him (William) walking up the aisle with a beautiful woman and the love of his life."
"I think it's the most joyous result and I'm sure Diana would be very, very happy about it... I think that she would be very happy with his choice. She (Middleton) seems such a great girl. And they seem so much in love."
But the singer does have one fear for the couple - the unforgiving press.
He adds, "Enjoy it while you can because the press are going to give you a bumpy ride. They are going to love you. They are going to hate you. I just hope they love each other enough to stay away from all that. There's one thing in the world if I could get rid of, it's that negativity of the British press, that hatefulness, that horrible nastiness that we have... Yeah it (the wedding) is a fairytale thing and people criticise it and say we're making too much of it. But it's about love, and in this day and age, anything that's about love and positivity is a welcome relief from what's going on in the world."
Diana, Princess of Wales, died in a car crash in Paris, France in 1997, following a chase with photographers.
More Elton John News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding