Director Bryan Singer Almost Dozed Off Watching His Own Movie
Bryan Singer was surprised by his own reaction to the movie when he showed an early cut to a test audience, and he was galvanised into trimming it down to 100 minutes.
And he is grateful for a scathing online review of the initial version - because it provided him with the perfect opening to the movie.
Bryan Singer tells Total Film magazine, "The first cut we showed to a bunch of people was so languid and terrible, I almost fell asleep during it, my own movie. I didn't mean for it to be screened that early, and then someone posted a review on the internet..."
"I never told anyone this, but this horrible, mean, awful, terrible review of the slow, miserable first cut of "X-Men" inspired one thing. It was something the reviewer said, like, 'We don't even know what these mutants are!' And that gave me an idea for a preamble, Xavier's preamble... I thought, this'll become our thing, like the gun barrel at the start of James Bond, and we'll have it in front of every movie. So as much as I hate those evil internet reviews, it actually helped me come up with that!"
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal