Troubled Demi Lovato Wasn't Satisfied Until She Vomited Blood
Demi Lovato stunned fans in November when she pulled out of her world tour with the Jonas Brothers and checked into rehab for unspecified "emotional and physical issues".
The 18 year old has since spoken out about her life-long battle with anorexia and bulimia, revealing her disorder was so much more than extreme dieting and throwing up after meals.
She tells People magazine, "When I was about 15, I was only eating two meals a week, but I wasn't losing any more weight because my body adjusted to that. So I tried new things: laxatives, fasts - nothing was working."
"I decided maybe I should start throwing up. At my worst, I was doing it five times a day. I threw up so hard and so much, it was just blood in the toilet."
Demi Lovato felt her world crumbling around her and knew she had to face up to her body issues before it was too late.
She says, "My eating disorders have ruined my life. I thought I could control it, but I couldn't. I ended up in treatment at the most untimely moment in my life."
The actress insists she's bouncing back after completing an intense three-month programme, but every day is a struggle: "It is more difficult now because I don't have people supervising me. That's why I haven't been working."
"My goal for every day is to eat three meals, and that's challenging enough. There are days when I feel so overwhelmed, like I can't do it... I'm still learning just to like food... I'm determined to fight this. I've never been more peaceful or happy in my life. What's important is to help others get to this place."
More Demi Lovato News
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel
- Justin Bieber and Beyonce Knowles Lead Nominations for 2016 MTV EMAs
- Watch Katy Perry and Joel McHale Get Arrested for Voting Naked
- 'Stranger Things': Here's What Upside Down Is According to the Child Actors
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Grab Breakfast Sans Kids Amid Rumor They Call Off Divorce
- Cheryl's Mom Fuels Rumors Singer Is Expecting a Child With Liam Payne
- Lionsgate Is Open for More 'Twilight' Sequels