Renee Zellweger Humbled by Liberia Trip
The "Chicago" star Renee Zellweger flew to the African nation at the end of last month for a mission with charity organisation The Great Initiative.
She met with women's groups, visited an all-female training academy run by Oxfam, and spoke to locals about the years of suffering they endured during the reign of former president Charles Taylor, currently being tried for war crimes in The Hague, Holland.
Renee Zellweger admits she returned to the U.S. feeling humbled by the experience.
She tells Britain's OK! magazine, "I was so curious to witness the progress women have made through their efforts and their determination to be heard... Listening to their stories of loss and horrendous tragedy brought great humility. We visited a vocational skills training centre for women who've survived the war and met so many whose emotional trauma, it seemed, would not allow them to trust enough to engage with us. Still, the women refuse to be victims of their histories. They are hopeful, and hugely empower themselves by taking advantage of educational opportunities."
More Renee Zellweger News
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video
- Justin Bieber Strips Down to Underwear, Holds His Crotch in Bizarre Racy Picture
- Is Nick Jonas Dating Lily Collins? Here's the Truth