Taylor Kitsch Needs Counseling to Get Out of Film Character
Actor Taylor Kitsch was forced to undergo counseling after filming new movie "The Bang Bang Club" because he nearly killed himself trying to play a skinny photojournalist. In the movie, the "Friday Night Lights" star portrays a brave photojournalist who captures the violence that erupted during the Apartheid period in South Africa.
However, in order to take on the role, Kitsch turned to unhealthy weight-loss practices, dropping 35 pounds in just two months, which resulted in kidney problems. He says, "It wasn't smart. I tried to run at least 10 miles a day on fruit and coffee. Just barely any protein - I was ripped at the time, so I had to lose all the muscle."
"I remember doing the physical in Texas, and because I was running so much, I had a very low heart rate, and it got super low. The doctor couldn't find it, and then finally he found it and goes, 'If I write down your actual heart rate, you're not going to do this film.' So I went and did some push-ups and got it up to a reasonable number. I literally didn't have the energy to walk around the mall."
"So that was physically, and then just the challenge emotionally to get there every day for Kev (his character)... The last few scenes, he's just a wreck, and, to play that honestly, it just took a lot out of me. You almost f**king kill yourself to get there. You need counseling, you need all this s**t to come out of that character."
Consequently, Kitsch sought treatment to help aid the transition process after filming wrapped. He adds, "(It was) maybe a bit too method (acting), I guess, because he is suicidal. You just try to re-engage slowly with family and close friends, you know. Because you just go on this crazy endeavor and then all of a sudden, a day later, you're back in Austin, Texas, going for your morning coffee at your place, and you're like, 'Man, what just happened?' "
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'