Billy Ray Cyrus Happy Not to Have Breathing Problems That Killed Grandfather
The "Achy Breaky Heart" singer, Billy Ray Cyrus chose to get himself tested for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) after signing up as a spokesman for the health initiative hoping to stamp out the killer disease.
He took the Tune Up for COPD five-question screener quiz online and found out he's in good shape.
He tells website CMT.com, "I didn't have a perfect score, but I passed."
And Billy Ray Cyrus is content in the knowledge he won't suffer like his grandfather did.
He adds, "I saw him struggle to breathe. It makes you feel helpless. The more I learn about the disease, I realise how many people in my part of Appalachia had trouble like this. Breathing is just such an intricate part of living."
Billy Ray Cyrus has launched a new songwriting contest in collaboration with the charity and he's asking budding stars to write songs about breathing.
He'll pick a winner, who will be flown to Nashville, Tennessee to meet Billy Ray Cyrus. The hitmaker/actor will then perform the winning song as part of the CMA Music Festival in June.
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered