Billy Ray Cyrus Happy Not to Have Breathing Problems That Killed Grandfather
The "Achy Breaky Heart" singer, Billy Ray Cyrus chose to get himself tested for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) after signing up as a spokesman for the health initiative hoping to stamp out the killer disease.
He took the Tune Up for COPD five-question screener quiz online and found out he's in good shape.
He tells website CMT.com, "I didn't have a perfect score, but I passed."
And Billy Ray Cyrus is content in the knowledge he won't suffer like his grandfather did.
He adds, "I saw him struggle to breathe. It makes you feel helpless. The more I learn about the disease, I realise how many people in my part of Appalachia had trouble like this. Breathing is just such an intricate part of living."
Billy Ray Cyrus has launched a new songwriting contest in collaboration with the charity and he's asking budding stars to write songs about breathing.
He'll pick a winner, who will be flown to Nashville, Tennessee to meet Billy Ray Cyrus. The hitmaker/actor will then perform the winning song as part of the CMA Music Festival in June.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic