Kelly McGillis Volunteering at Rehabilitation Center
"Top Gun" star Kelly McGillis has signed up as a volunteer at a drug and rehabilitation center in New Jersey. When she's not acting, the star likes to help others at Seabrook House.
She tells BlogTalkRadio.com, "I have a real job. I work at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility. I interviewed for a job and they hired me. It makes me feel as if I'm genuinely being of service to others. I feel as if I have the potential to help others in a way that I don't have acting."
She admits her presence often freaks out patients, adding, "Some people say, 'I'm talking to a movie star,' but I always remind them that's not why I'm there. I have a very clear boundary about that. I'm not there to talk about my work. I'm there to talk about recovery and help them stand in their integrity and their recovery. I think it's a great gift that I am able to do so."
"When I turned 50 and my kids were leaving home and I thought, 'What is it that I really want to do with the rest of my life? What have I done?' You get an opportunity to look where you have been and where you want to go when you have a big shift in your life like that. I just put it out there that I would really like to be of service in some way, shape or form and this opportunity came along and I'm really grateful it has because I'm incredibly filled every day by it."
"In May, I will be 10 years sober. To be able to see people change and give them hope; a lot of people have no hope and I certainly can identify with that. Also the potential to heal individuals and their families is really impactful, humbling and exciting for me."
- Father of 3 Daughters Extends 'Redneck Love' to Ariana Grande After Manchester Bombing
- Nick Jonas' New Song 'Remember I Told You' Is a Sassy Breakup Jam
- Shia LaBeouf Sued for Defamation and Assault Following Bowling Alley Fight
- Blac Chyna Sends Fans Into Frenzy With Steamy Topless Pic
- 'Luke Cage' Season 2 Will Explore Luke's Public Identity
- Get a Look at Hulk's Glamorous Sakaar Bed in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Brad Pitt, Pharrell and More Celebrity Pals Attend Chris Cornell's Funeral
- Ariana Grande's Boyfriend Mac Miller Cancels Two Shows Following Manchester Bombing