Michael Jackson Reportedly Committed Suicide Over Financial Woes
Michael Jackson may have committed suicide over his financial woes, according to lawyers representing the King of Pop's former physician Dr. Conrad Murray. The sensational claims were made during a pre-trial hearing on Wednesday, April 6.
Defense lawyer Ed Chernoff insisted his client, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter, was not responsible for the pop superstar's death in 2009. Instead, Jackson was so upset about the state of his finances he took his own life. Dr. Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death, has asked to see the late star's financial records to prove his case.
He told Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor, "The crux of the defence is going to be that Michael Jackson engaged in a desperate act and took desperate measures that caused his death. We believe at the time Michael Jackson died he was a desperate man in relation to his financial affairs."
Deputy District Attorney David Walgren has opposed the idea, insisting the defence is simply staging "an irrelevant sideshow" aimed at distracting the jury from the key issue of the trial - the prosecutors have accused Murray of acting with gross negligence and administering the anaesthetic which killed Jackson.
Attorney Howard Weitzman, who was representing the late pop star's estate in court, has opposed the request for financial records. The judge refused to grant the request, calling it "major deep sea fishing".
More Michael Jackson News
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie
- All One Directioners, Except Zayn Malik, Congratulate Niall Horan on His First Solo Single