Andy Serkis to Be Second Unit Director on 'The Hobbit'
British actor Andy Serkis has been handed a huge honor on the set of the "Lord of the Rings" prequel, "The Hobbit", in New Zealand - moviemaker Peter Jackson has made him his second unit director.
The star, who shot to fame as Gollum in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and will reprise the role in "The Hobbit", will oversee select location work on Jackson's two upcoming films. Serkis tells The Hollywood Reporter that Jackson hired him because he understood the material and the director's vision. Serkis says, "There was this email out of the blue. It was a fantastic surprise."
The new role is sure to give the actor's directing career a big boost - he hopes to take charge of his first feature film after wrapping work on "The Hobbit" films.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance