Andy Serkis to Be Second Unit Director on 'The Hobbit'
British actor Andy Serkis has been handed a huge honor on the set of the "Lord of the Rings" prequel, "The Hobbit", in New Zealand - moviemaker Peter Jackson has made him his second unit director.
The star, who shot to fame as Gollum in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and will reprise the role in "The Hobbit", will oversee select location work on Jackson's two upcoming films. Serkis tells The Hollywood Reporter that Jackson hired him because he understood the material and the director's vision. Serkis says, "There was this email out of the blue. It was a fantastic surprise."
The new role is sure to give the actor's directing career a big boost - he hopes to take charge of his first feature film after wrapping work on "The Hobbit" films.
- Kristen Stewart Uncharacteristically Cheerful During Outing With Stella Maxwell
- Halsey Unveils 'Hopeless Fountain Kingdom' Track List
- Kylie Jenner Hits Back at Critics Accusing Her of Photoshopping Her Sexy Selfie
- Robert Downey Jr.'s 'Doctor Dolittle' Moves Up Release Date to Avoid 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Adds 'Battlestar Galactica', 'Jericho' Stars and More
- DMX Enters Rehab After Canceling Three Shows
- Katy Perry's Reportedly Jealous Seeing Orlando Bloom Moving On So Fast With Nina Dobrev
- 'Big Bang Theory' Stars Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch Reach New Deals After Salary Raises