Stephen Colbert Set for Another Sea Race Despite Life-Altering Experience
U.S. funnyman and TV presenter Stephen Colbert is set to return to the savage seas off the coast of Bermuda for another shot at the 777-mile Charleston Race. The comic was a member of a sailing crew in 2005's trek around the infamous Bermuda Triangle, and he admits it was a life-altering experience.
And now he's hitting the high seas again in May. He tells Outside magazine, "Though I grew up in a sailing community... I am not a sailor. I wasn't allowed to sail because I'm not waterproof. I have no eardrum in my right ear. As a child, I imagined that if the boat capsized, my skull would fill with water and down I'd go, bow first.
"But there comes a time in every man's life when he must ask himself, 'What can I endure? Of what mettle am I made?' This was not one of those times. I thought this would be a booze cruise to Bermuda."
But he can't wait to get back out there, despite the hardships of life on a boat: "What endures is what I can't rightly describe - looking up at night to see the masts unmoving in your eyes but the stars dancing in synchronized figure eights... Flying fish slapping against the sail... Two ounces of gritty cowboy coffee. Eight friends together in a 45-foot world and alone at the center of a referenceless horizon. I can't explain what that all feels like. I just know I want to feel it again."
More Stephen Colbert News
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift