Wyclef Jean's Pick for Haiti President Wins Election
Wyclef Jean is celebrating after learning his pick for Haiti President has won the vote.
The Fugees star was back home in Haiti on Monday, April 4 for the first time since he was shot at while campaigning for presidential hopeful Michel Martelly on March 11 - and he announced the election result via Twitter.com.
In a tweet to followers, the hip-hop star wrote, "I am in Haiti right now the next president has been announced its @presidentmicky !!!!!!!!" Wyclef was traveling through the city of Delmas, near Port-au-Prince, on 19 March when his car came under attack from a mystery gunman. He suffered a minor injury to his hand and was taken to hospital for treatment.
He initially planned to challenge Martelly in the race for President but he was ruled ineligible to run for office in 2010. Martelly, who has no previous government experience, won the run-off against former First Lady Mirlande Manigat.
The first results will be open to legal challenges before the final winner is declared later on April 11.
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues
- First Look at Miley Cyrus as Hippie in Woody Allen's 'Crisis in Six Scenes'
- Drake and Rihanna Kiss on Instagram, Enjoy Date Night After VMAs
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board