Wyclef Jean's Pick for Haiti President Wins Election
Wyclef Jean is celebrating after learning his pick for Haiti President has won the vote.
The Fugees star was back home in Haiti on Monday, April 4 for the first time since he was shot at while campaigning for presidential hopeful Michel Martelly on March 11 - and he announced the election result via Twitter.com.
In a tweet to followers, the hip-hop star wrote, "I am in Haiti right now the next president has been announced its @presidentmicky !!!!!!!!" Wyclef was traveling through the city of Delmas, near Port-au-Prince, on 19 March when his car came under attack from a mystery gunman. He suffered a minor injury to his hand and was taken to hospital for treatment.
He initially planned to challenge Martelly in the race for President but he was ruled ineligible to run for office in 2010. Martelly, who has no previous government experience, won the run-off against former First Lady Mirlande Manigat.
The first results will be open to legal challenges before the final winner is declared later on April 11.
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters