Emily Browning Blasts Sexist Label on 'Sucker Punch'
Actress Emily Browning is fuming after her new movie "Sucker Punch" was labeled "sexist" in its portrayal of women, as she's adamant the story shows "girls breaking free". The new Zack Snyder movie stars Browning as a girl called Baby Doll, who is locked up in an asylum after she is accused of causing her sister's death. The hospital is later revealed to be a brothel as the lead character plots her escape in a series of imaginative dream sequences.
The movie has met with mixed reviews and some critics have taken aim at the film's erotic undertones, with movie magazine Variety branding it "fantasy fodder for 13-year-old guys" with the female cast dressed in "demeaning fetish gear".
But Browning, 22, is adamant she doesn't agree with accusations the film objectifies women, telling BBC, "I find the idea that it's sexist really bizarre. The sexism is within the story of the film. Within the brothel, the girls are being objectified but that doesn't mean the film is doing the same. It's really about these girls breaking free."
Browning also shrugs off the swathe of negative reviews, adding, "I think there would be nothing worse than people feeling ambivalent towards the film, if they're saying, 'It's all right, it's OK.' That's not interesting to me. I'm so OK that some people really love it and some really hate it. I want people to question it and have something to think about it (sic)."
- Ariana Grande Debuts New Hairdo Amid Reports She Was Barred From Performing at White House
- 'High School Musical' Alum Corbin Bleu Gets Married to Sasha Clements. Get the Details
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Easily Wins at Box Office
- Lindsay Lohan Fights With Fiance Egor Tarabasov After Accusing Him of Cheating on Social Media
- Comic-Con: 'Prison Break' Revival Debuts New Trailer and Clip
- Liv Tyler Shares Adorable Breastfeeding Photo With Her Newborn
- Calvin Harris and Kim Kardashian Party Together Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- Drake's New Mixtape Is on the Way as 'Views' Tops Billboard 200 for 11th Week