Emily Browning Blasts Sexist Label on 'Sucker Punch'
Actress Emily Browning is fuming after her new movie "Sucker Punch" was labeled "sexist" in its portrayal of women, as she's adamant the story shows "girls breaking free". The new Zack Snyder movie stars Browning as a girl called Baby Doll, who is locked up in an asylum after she is accused of causing her sister's death. The hospital is later revealed to be a brothel as the lead character plots her escape in a series of imaginative dream sequences.
The movie has met with mixed reviews and some critics have taken aim at the film's erotic undertones, with movie magazine Variety branding it "fantasy fodder for 13-year-old guys" with the female cast dressed in "demeaning fetish gear".
But Browning, 22, is adamant she doesn't agree with accusations the film objectifies women, telling BBC, "I find the idea that it's sexist really bizarre. The sexism is within the story of the film. Within the brothel, the girls are being objectified but that doesn't mean the film is doing the same. It's really about these girls breaking free."
Browning also shrugs off the swathe of negative reviews, adding, "I think there would be nothing worse than people feeling ambivalent towards the film, if they're saying, 'It's all right, it's OK.' That's not interesting to me. I'm so OK that some people really love it and some really hate it. I want people to question it and have something to think about it (sic)."
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Wants to Adopt Baby With British Boyfriend
- Back at It! Natalie Portman Returns to Work After Giving Birth to Daughter Amalia
- Cara Delevingne Sports Bald Head on 'Life in a Year' Filming Set
- Elton John Cancels Entire Las Vegas Shows Due to 'Unusual Bacterial Infection'
- Finding 'Comfort,' Brad Pitt Plans to Buy New Place in L.A. Arts District After Angelina Jolie Split
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Jesse Williams and Wife Split After Nearly 5 Years of Marriage
- Hollywood Writers Authorize a Strike. Will It Repeat the 2007 WGA Strike?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out for First Time Since Filing for Divorce From Jennifer Garner