Shakira Gives Away Money for School Charity
Colombian singer Shakira is continuing her charity efforts in Haiti by donating $400,000 to help rebuild a school which was damaged by the massive earthquake in the country in 2010. The "Hips Don't Lie" hitmaker announced plans to team her Barefoot Foundation with the Architecture for Humanity charity to help renovate the Elie Dubois school in the capital Port-au-Prince shortly after the disaster hit in January, 2010.
She visited the country earlier this week and announced a deal with the Inter-American Development Bank, which will match her donation to rebuild the education facility. The star says, "I'm convinced the key to achieve a dignified future for the Haitian people is through education."
"I'd like to say to the girls that this is an enormous opportunity that life is offering you, education. So make the most of it because I'm sure you can achieve any of your dreams."
Shakira also visited the school and danced with some of the students as they sang one of her songs.
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending
- Kevin Jonas and Wife Danielle Announce Sex of Their 2nd Baby. Is It a Boy or a Girl?
- Calvin Harris Blames Paparazzo for Another Car Accident, but Then Apologizes