Shakira Gives Away Money for School Charity
Colombian singer Shakira is continuing her charity efforts in Haiti by donating $400,000 to help rebuild a school which was damaged by the massive earthquake in the country in 2010. The "Hips Don't Lie" hitmaker announced plans to team her Barefoot Foundation with the Architecture for Humanity charity to help renovate the Elie Dubois school in the capital Port-au-Prince shortly after the disaster hit in January, 2010.
She visited the country earlier this week and announced a deal with the Inter-American Development Bank, which will match her donation to rebuild the education facility. The star says, "I'm convinced the key to achieve a dignified future for the Haitian people is through education."
"I'd like to say to the girls that this is an enormous opportunity that life is offering you, education. So make the most of it because I'm sure you can achieve any of your dreams."
Shakira also visited the school and danced with some of the students as they sang one of her songs.
- John Legend Expresses His Anger and Hope in 'In America'
- Ryan Gosling Explains His Giggle During Oscar Fiasco
- Report: Kevin Hart's Wife Eniko Pregnant With Their First Child
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Starts Filming in Scotland, Set Photos and Video Arrive
- 'Orphan Black' Unveils First Photos and Details of Final Season
- Hailey Baldwin Fuels Cameron Dallas Dating Rumors as They're Spotted Grabbing Lunch Together
- Donald Trump and Wife Melania Reportedly Sleep in Separate Bedrooms and Never Spend a Night Together
- Iggy Azalea Is Twerking in Sneak Peek of 'Mo Bounce' Music Video