Shakira Gives Away Money for School Charity
Colombian singer Shakira is continuing her charity efforts in Haiti by donating $400,000 to help rebuild a school which was damaged by the massive earthquake in the country in 2010. The "Hips Don't Lie" hitmaker announced plans to team her Barefoot Foundation with the Architecture for Humanity charity to help renovate the Elie Dubois school in the capital Port-au-Prince shortly after the disaster hit in January, 2010.
She visited the country earlier this week and announced a deal with the Inter-American Development Bank, which will match her donation to rebuild the education facility. The star says, "I'm convinced the key to achieve a dignified future for the Haitian people is through education."
"I'd like to say to the girls that this is an enormous opportunity that life is offering you, education. So make the most of it because I'm sure you can achieve any of your dreams."
Shakira also visited the school and danced with some of the students as they sang one of her songs.
More Shakira News
- Tiny Harris Fake Facebook Stirs Up Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Affair Rumor
- Michael Bay Has Initial Idea for an R-Rated 'Bumblebee' Spin-Off
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Gets Animated in Bizarre Video for 'Sick Love'
- Mariah Carey's New Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Admits He's 'Always Had a Thing' for Her
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Promises 'Refreshing' 'Celebrity Apprentice' in New Sneak Peek
- 'Last Tango in Paris' Rape Scene Backlash Is 'Ridiculous,' Says Bernardo Bertolucci
- Jimmy Kimmel's Wife Molly McNearney Is Pregnant With Their Second Child
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4