Madonna Facing Legal Woe for Unfair Dismissal
Madonna is facing legal action for unfair dismissal from former employees of her Raising Malawi charity following the collapse of plans for a girls school in the African nation. The pop superstar had been working on building a $15 million education facility in the village of Chinkhota, near the capital of Lilongwe, through her charitable organization.
However, the project has now been abandoned amid allegations of financial mismanagement, prompting Madonna to dismiss the foundation's board of directors. The singer's representatives have since blamed former Raising Malawi Executive Director Philippe van den Bossche, who quit in October 2010, for the mess.
But Madonna's actions have landed her in trouble with eight disgruntled employees at Raising Malawi and they are taking their labor complaints to the country's Industrial Court. The workers' lawyer, Mzondi Chirambo, says, "Their employment was terminated by the trustees of Raising Malawi Academy for Girls ostensibly following the change of plan not to build the school as planned. My clients are also being forced to sign a discriminatory termination agreement before they are paid their benefits."
Madonna has 14 days to respond to the claim, but the workers are likely to face a tough fight, the singer is looking into her own legal options and is considering filing suit against those involved in the failure of the school.
More Madonna News
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Features Surprise Return of 'Iron Man' Character
- Jamie Foxx Says Dating at 49 Is 'Tough' Amid Katie Holmes Romance Rumors
- Fans Are Losing It Over Eminem's New Beard - See Their Hilarious Reactions
- Stephen Colbert Announces Plan to Run for President in 2020, Asks Russians' Help for His Campaign
- Tupac Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Creators Slapped With Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
- Caitlyn Jenner Fuels Dating Rumors With This Blonde Beauty
- Snoop Dogg Denies Mocking His 'Nephew' Young Thug in 'Moment I Feared' Video
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 9 Finale: Does Your Favorite Win?