Officials Try to Stop Sale of Stevie Wonder's 'Superstition' Grammy
A Grammy Award presented to Stevie Wonder in 1973 is at the center of a legal battle as officials behind the prestigious prize giving fight to keep the honor from the auction block in an upcoming pop memorabilia sale. The blind star received the accolade for his classic hit "Superstition", but it has since found its way into the hands of "Gotta Have It! Collectibles" owner Pete Siegel, who is planning to sell it off.
Representatives from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the body responsible for the Grammys, have taken issue with the sale and have filed suit against Siegel, accusing him of a variety of charges, including fraud, unjust enrichment and false advertising.
It is unclear how Wonder lost ownership of the honor, although reports suggest Grammy organizers are suspicious of how Siegel obtained the gong, which is among a 1,000-item lot also featuring memorabilia from The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. The Grammy in question has been given a minimum starting bid of $12,000, reports the New York Post.
It is not the first time Siegel's star sales have hit the headlines - last year, Lady GaGa contacted the firm to buy up a collection of her old belongings after a former manager announced plans to auction them off, while the FBI seized John Lennon's 1976 application for U.S. residence in October 2010 after determining the item was the property of the U.S. Government and therefore could not be sold.
More Stevie Wonder News
- Netflix Is Back After Crash Following 'Luke Cage' Premiere
- Gigi Hadid Trips on Runway at Paris Fashion Week
- Mail Order Bride Comedy Canned by NBC After Getting Backlash
- Robin Williams' Widow Calls the Actor's Disease 'the Terrorist Inside My Husband's Brain'
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress