Officials Try to Stop Sale of Stevie Wonder's 'Superstition' Grammy
A Grammy Award presented to Stevie Wonder in 1973 is at the center of a legal battle as officials behind the prestigious prize giving fight to keep the honor from the auction block in an upcoming pop memorabilia sale. The blind star received the accolade for his classic hit "Superstition", but it has since found its way into the hands of "Gotta Have It! Collectibles" owner Pete Siegel, who is planning to sell it off.
Representatives from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the body responsible for the Grammys, have taken issue with the sale and have filed suit against Siegel, accusing him of a variety of charges, including fraud, unjust enrichment and false advertising.
It is unclear how Wonder lost ownership of the honor, although reports suggest Grammy organizers are suspicious of how Siegel obtained the gong, which is among a 1,000-item lot also featuring memorabilia from The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. The Grammy in question has been given a minimum starting bid of $12,000, reports the New York Post.
It is not the first time Siegel's star sales have hit the headlines - last year, Lady GaGa contacted the firm to buy up a collection of her old belongings after a former manager announced plans to auction them off, while the FBI seized John Lennon's 1976 application for U.S. residence in October 2010 after determining the item was the property of the U.S. Government and therefore could not be sold.
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame
- Blac Chyna Plans Plastic Surgery Makeover to Match Her Post-Baby Body
- Melania Trump 'Fixes' Her Hair as Donald Trump Tries to Hold Her Hand
- Bella Hadid Enjoys Dinner Date With Mystery Hunk in Rome and Leaves With Bouquet of Roses
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Are Denied Access to Party in France
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Having a Baby to Save 'Stormy' Marriage