Officials Try to Stop Sale of Stevie Wonder's 'Superstition' Grammy
A Grammy Award presented to Stevie Wonder in 1973 is at the center of a legal battle as officials behind the prestigious prize giving fight to keep the honor from the auction block in an upcoming pop memorabilia sale. The blind star received the accolade for his classic hit "Superstition", but it has since found its way into the hands of "Gotta Have It! Collectibles" owner Pete Siegel, who is planning to sell it off.
Representatives from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the body responsible for the Grammys, have taken issue with the sale and have filed suit against Siegel, accusing him of a variety of charges, including fraud, unjust enrichment and false advertising.
It is unclear how Wonder lost ownership of the honor, although reports suggest Grammy organizers are suspicious of how Siegel obtained the gong, which is among a 1,000-item lot also featuring memorabilia from The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. The Grammy in question has been given a minimum starting bid of $12,000, reports the New York Post.
It is not the first time Siegel's star sales have hit the headlines - last year, Lady GaGa contacted the firm to buy up a collection of her old belongings after a former manager announced plans to auction them off, while the FBI seized John Lennon's 1976 application for U.S. residence in October 2010 after determining the item was the property of the U.S. Government and therefore could not be sold.
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years
- Demi Lovato Speaks on Mental Illness, Performs 'Confident' at DNC Opening Night
- Lindsay Lohan Responds to Relationship Drama After Accusing Fiance of Strangling Her
- Britney Spears, U2, Drake, Ariana Grande Lead an Amazing 2016 iHeartRadio Music Festival Line-Up
- Kylie Jenner Launches Kyshadow Collection