Lady GaGa Asks Malaysian Fans to Protest Against 'Born This Way' Censorship
Lady GaGa is urging her Malaysian fans to "protest peacefully" after her equality anthem "Born This Way" was censored by radio bosses in the country. Some of the lyrics, which call for equal rights for the gay community, were dubbed over after they were deemed "offensive" in the Muslim-majority, conservative country.
The singer insists she "specifically put" pro-gay lines into the track, and wants her devotees to fight for the chance to hear the unedited version. Speaking in an online interview, Gaga said, "Obviously I disagree with it, otherwise I wouldn't have specifically put those words in a song that I knew would be put on Top 40 radio. What I would say is for all the young people in Malaysia that want those words to be played on the radio, it is your job and it is your duty as young people to have your voices heard."
"You must do everything that you can if you want to be liberated by your society: you must call, you must not stop, you must protest, peacefully. I don't believe in violence. I don't believe in negativity. There is no reason to be derogatory. You just have to keep fighting for what you believe in." The pop star admits censorship has been a recurring problem in her career, but she always stands by her artistic choices.
She adds, "I can't tell you how many times I get phone calls from TV stations (asking me) to edit out a section of the video and I just say, 'Well, tell them I'm not doing it.' If they don't want to play it, they don't have to. That's it. Because if the artist is constantly molding ourselves and changing and abridging what we do for the machine, then the artist becomes part of the machine. I don't want to be part of the machine. I want the machine to be part of me."
More Lady GaGa News
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why