Lady GaGa Asks Malaysian Fans to Protest Against 'Born This Way' Censorship
Lady GaGa is urging her Malaysian fans to "protest peacefully" after her equality anthem "Born This Way" was censored by radio bosses in the country. Some of the lyrics, which call for equal rights for the gay community, were dubbed over after they were deemed "offensive" in the Muslim-majority, conservative country.
The singer insists she "specifically put" pro-gay lines into the track, and wants her devotees to fight for the chance to hear the unedited version. Speaking in an online interview, Gaga said, "Obviously I disagree with it, otherwise I wouldn't have specifically put those words in a song that I knew would be put on Top 40 radio. What I would say is for all the young people in Malaysia that want those words to be played on the radio, it is your job and it is your duty as young people to have your voices heard."
"You must do everything that you can if you want to be liberated by your society: you must call, you must not stop, you must protest, peacefully. I don't believe in violence. I don't believe in negativity. There is no reason to be derogatory. You just have to keep fighting for what you believe in." The pop star admits censorship has been a recurring problem in her career, but she always stands by her artistic choices.
She adds, "I can't tell you how many times I get phone calls from TV stations (asking me) to edit out a section of the video and I just say, 'Well, tell them I'm not doing it.' If they don't want to play it, they don't have to. That's it. Because if the artist is constantly molding ourselves and changing and abridging what we do for the machine, then the artist becomes part of the machine. I don't want to be part of the machine. I want the machine to be part of me."
More Lady GaGa News
- Report: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Expecting 3rd Child
- Watch Charli XCX's Adorable 'Boys' Video Starring Joe Jonas, Charlie Puth, Jay Park and More Hotties
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Firefighter Spin-Off Casts Jaina Lee Ortiz
- Ike Barinholtz Broke His Neck While Filming Movie Stunt
- Bella Hadid Flashes Nipples and Tummy in Skintight Crop Top
- Henry Cavill Addresses 'Justice League' 'Mustache Fiasco' With Hilarious Instagram Post
- Was '4:44' Album Title Inspired by Jay-Z and Solange's Elevator Fight?
- HBO's Porn Drama 'The Deuce' Gets a September Premiere Date