Lady GaGa Asks Malaysian Fans to Protest Against 'Born This Way' Censorship
Lady GaGa is urging her Malaysian fans to "protest peacefully" after her equality anthem "Born This Way" was censored by radio bosses in the country. Some of the lyrics, which call for equal rights for the gay community, were dubbed over after they were deemed "offensive" in the Muslim-majority, conservative country.
The singer insists she "specifically put" pro-gay lines into the track, and wants her devotees to fight for the chance to hear the unedited version. Speaking in an online interview, Gaga said, "Obviously I disagree with it, otherwise I wouldn't have specifically put those words in a song that I knew would be put on Top 40 radio. What I would say is for all the young people in Malaysia that want those words to be played on the radio, it is your job and it is your duty as young people to have your voices heard."
"You must do everything that you can if you want to be liberated by your society: you must call, you must not stop, you must protest, peacefully. I don't believe in violence. I don't believe in negativity. There is no reason to be derogatory. You just have to keep fighting for what you believe in." The pop star admits censorship has been a recurring problem in her career, but she always stands by her artistic choices.
She adds, "I can't tell you how many times I get phone calls from TV stations (asking me) to edit out a section of the video and I just say, 'Well, tell them I'm not doing it.' If they don't want to play it, they don't have to. That's it. Because if the artist is constantly molding ourselves and changing and abridging what we do for the machine, then the artist becomes part of the machine. I don't want to be part of the machine. I want the machine to be part of me."
More Lady GaGa News
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does