Gwen Stefani Donates $1 Million to Japanese Relief Efforts
Gwen Stefani has taken Sandra Bullock's lead and matched the actress' generous $1 million donation to aid the Japanese relief effort. An estimated 18,000 people lost their lives in the the earthquake and tsunami double disaster on March 11, and celebrities around have been stepping up to help the survivors.
Bullock handed over the big cheque to the American Red Cross last week and now singer and fashion designer Stefani has made a similar donation to Save the Children's Japan Earthquake-Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund.
In a statement issued to UsMagazine.com, Stefani says, "I've been inspired by Japan for many years and have a true love, appreciation and respect for the Japanese people and their culture. The disaster in Japan is beyond heartbreaking, and I want to do anything I can to help. I would never be able to make a gesture like this without the love and support of all the fans over all these years."
The No Doubt star has also designed a limited edition T-shirt for her L.A.M.B. fashion label, with all proceeds benefiting the recovery efforts in Japan. The item will be unveiled on NoDoubt.com next week (begs March 28).
Demi Lovato is also reported to have dug deep and donated $1 million to the relief fund, while a host of other celebrities, including Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg, are raising cash from various accessories, clothing and merchandise for the cause.
More Gwen Stefani News
- Solange Releases 'A Seat at the Table' Album Featuring Lil Wayne and Kelly Rowland
- 'The Bachelor': Get Details of Nick Viall's Carnival Date
- Is That a Baby Bump? Christina Aguilera Looks Pregnant When Attending Drake's Concert
- Yes, Jessica Biel Eats in the Shower and She Wants You to Try It Too
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Gets Official Synopsis, First Footage Is Coming to NYCC
- Iggy Azalea Pushes Back 'Digital Distortion' Release to 2017, Cites Nick Young Drama
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo