Cyndi Lauper Declined to Depart Japan and Continued Her Gig
Pop legend Cyndi Lauper refused to leave Japan when the earthquake and tsunami struck and she's kept her promise to continue her tour of the country. The singer was in Japan when the devastating 9.0-magnitude tremor struck on March 11 and sent a massive tidal wave inland, leaving an estimated 18,000 people dead.
She took to her Twitter.com page in the aftermath of the disaster to let fans know she was safe, and she has continued updating and posting pictures as she experienced travel chaos and terrifying aftershocks. Lauper admits she refused to leave even under the threat of a nuclear disaster as plants around the east coast began experiencing problems, and she is grateful to her crew for standing by her.
She writes, "I would like to... acknowledge the professional and inspiring behavior in which my crew, my band and the Kyoto promotion staff have... conducted themselves in this time of crisis. Although we are, what I think, is not in harms way (sic). Winds continue to blow east. My band has never played better. And so I am lucky to have such extraordinary peeps (people) around me..."
She adds, "Instead of constantly promoting fear I thought I'd show how things are continuing here. Of course we are worried about the nuclear situation, but promoting fear will not help." Lauper's last gig in the country takes places in Osaka on Tuesday night, March 22 .
More Cyndi Lauper News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media