Cyndi Lauper Declined to Depart Japan and Continued Her Gig
Pop legend Cyndi Lauper refused to leave Japan when the earthquake and tsunami struck and she's kept her promise to continue her tour of the country. The singer was in Japan when the devastating 9.0-magnitude tremor struck on March 11 and sent a massive tidal wave inland, leaving an estimated 18,000 people dead.
She took to her Twitter.com page in the aftermath of the disaster to let fans know she was safe, and she has continued updating and posting pictures as she experienced travel chaos and terrifying aftershocks. Lauper admits she refused to leave even under the threat of a nuclear disaster as plants around the east coast began experiencing problems, and she is grateful to her crew for standing by her.
She writes, "I would like to... acknowledge the professional and inspiring behavior in which my crew, my band and the Kyoto promotion staff have... conducted themselves in this time of crisis. Although we are, what I think, is not in harms way (sic). Winds continue to blow east. My band has never played better. And so I am lucky to have such extraordinary peeps (people) around me..."
She adds, "Instead of constantly promoting fear I thought I'd show how things are continuing here. Of course we are worried about the nuclear situation, but promoting fear will not help." Lauper's last gig in the country takes places in Osaka on Tuesday night, March 22 .
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos
- Drake's 'Views' Returns to No. 1 on Billboard 200 for 13th Week
- Idina Menzel Debuts Engagement Ring From Fiance Aaron Lohr at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!