Cyndi Lauper Declined to Depart Japan and Continued Her Gig
Pop legend Cyndi Lauper refused to leave Japan when the earthquake and tsunami struck and she's kept her promise to continue her tour of the country. The singer was in Japan when the devastating 9.0-magnitude tremor struck on March 11 and sent a massive tidal wave inland, leaving an estimated 18,000 people dead.
She took to her Twitter.com page in the aftermath of the disaster to let fans know she was safe, and she has continued updating and posting pictures as she experienced travel chaos and terrifying aftershocks. Lauper admits she refused to leave even under the threat of a nuclear disaster as plants around the east coast began experiencing problems, and she is grateful to her crew for standing by her.
She writes, "I would like to... acknowledge the professional and inspiring behavior in which my crew, my band and the Kyoto promotion staff have... conducted themselves in this time of crisis. Although we are, what I think, is not in harms way (sic). Winds continue to blow east. My band has never played better. And so I am lucky to have such extraordinary peeps (people) around me..."
She adds, "Instead of constantly promoting fear I thought I'd show how things are continuing here. Of course we are worried about the nuclear situation, but promoting fear will not help." Lauper's last gig in the country takes places in Osaka on Tuesday night, March 22 .
- 'Power Rangers' First Full Trailer Offers First Official Look at Zordon and Megazord
- Amazon Is Adapting Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens' Into a Limited Series
- Caitlyn Jenner's Rep Clears Up Rumors of Inaugural Dance With Donald Trump
- Nancy Sinatra Slams Donald Trump for Using Her Father's Song at His Inauguration Ball
- Ariana Grande Shares Sweet Birthday Message for 'Soulmate' Mac Miller
- Bella Thorne Gets Flirty With Zedd on Twitter and His Fans Absolutely Hate It
- Fetty Wap and Monty Flaunt Million-Dollar Bling in New Video for 'S**t I Like'
- Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Reportedly Fighting Over Whether to Have Baby No. 3