Rihanna Clarifies Katy Perry Feud Rumors
Rihanna has spoken out to clear up rumors she fell out with Katy Perry after branding her friend's music "generic", insisting the controversial comments were actually aimed at "songwriters and producers". The "Umbrella" hitmaker sparked rumors of a feud with Perry last year when she appeared to criticize her pop peers by reportedly saying, "I didn't want the generic pop record that Ke$ha or Lady GaGa or Katy Perry would do. Every song is tailored to me."
Speculation of a rift was fueled when she missed Perry's wedding to Russell Brand in October 2010 because of work commitments. But Rihanna is adamant there is no bad blood between the two singers and insists her comments were not properly explained.
She tells the U.K.'s Fabulous magazine, "I didn't say that. Did you see the interview? That's not what I said. OK, if anything it was a diss to songwriters and producers who can't make anything other than formula records. They'll make a song and give it to Rihanna. If she doesn't take it, they'll take it to Katy, and if Katy doesn't take it they'll give it to GaGa. That's not what we want. We like songs that scream our individuality. We like records that speak for who we are as artists and that are tailored to us."
More Rihanna News
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group
- Artist of the Week: DJ Snake
- Idris Elba Confirms He Is Done Filming His Part in 'The Dark Tower'
- Kylie Jenner Gets Banned From Entering Club Where Tyga Performs. Here's Why