Kimberly Jaraj Used to Have Ballet School Terror
British actress Kimberly Jaraj has opened up about her experience as a young dancer at the U.K.'s Royal Ballet School, insisting she lived in fear of her strict instructors. Jaraj began attending the prestigious academy when she was just eight years old and admits it wasn't the best environment to grow up in as teachers pitted students against one another.
"Someone would cry every day," she says. "I never felt the pressure for being skinny, but other girls definitely did. They did weigh us frequently and they would say things to me like, 'Your mother's 5ft 6in and your father's 6ft, so why aren't you taller?' I'd think, 'How am I supposed to know?' "
"The smallest thing, like, if you didn't have your little pink ribbon in your hair, you'd panic. They would tell you to sit out. You're in competition with your friends every day. [And] they didn't really warm to other ethnicities. They weren't that accepting of somebody who wasn't white or Christian."
Now the 22-year-old has the utmost respect for professional ballerinas, adding, "It really is the hardest profession."
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism