David Beckham Appeals Cheat Accusation
Soccer superstar David Beckham has lodged an appeal to overturn a judge's decision to dismiss a libel lawsuit against magazine editors who published allegations he cheated on his wife Victoria Adams with a hooker.
In February, Beckham was dealt a blow as his $24.8 million suit over an In Touch article detailing prostitute Irma Nici's claims she bedded the star in 2007 was thrown out by U.S. District Judge Manuel Real. He ruled that Beckham's legal team had failed to produce evidence editors published the story with malice.
But the sportsman is refusing to give up his battle, his lawyers filed appeal papers at the United States District Court, Central District Of California on Thursday, March 17, according to Britain's Daily Mail.
The publication reports Beckham's attorneys will highlight the alleged criminal past of Nici in a bid to demonstrate how the magazine behaved with malice. He will also reportedly insist he was not given sufficient time to prove the claims were false before the article went to press.
A spokesperson for the star, who is expecting his fourth child with his fashion designer wife, says, "David is appealing... and is confident justice will prevail."
More David Beckham News
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video
- Justin Bieber Strips Down to Underwear, Holds His Crotch in Bizarre Racy Picture
- Is Nick Jonas Dating Lily Collins? Here's the Truth
- Andy Samberg Really Is a 'Weirdo' on New Freestyle From 'Popstar'
- Ben Affleck Spotted Wearing Eyeliner During Outing With Jennifer Garner and Kids
- 'Run's House' Star Angela Simmons Expecting First Child. See Her Baby Bump