Barry Weiss Takes Over L.A. Reid's Record Label
Music mogul L.A. Reid has handed over the reigns of his record label to Britney Spears' boss Barry Weiss after signing up to be a star judge on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor". The record executive and producer, who gave Usher and Justin Bieber their big breaks, is taking a seat on "The X Factor (US)", and he has quit his job as chairman and CEO of Island Def Jam and Universal Motown to concentrate on his new TV mentor role.
Replacing him will be Weiss, who joins the label after several years in charge of Jive, the label in charge of Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, Kelly Clarkson and Kings of Leon. Lucian Grange, chairman of the Universal Music Group, says, "Throughout his career, Barry achieved that rare and delicate balance between managing artistic needs and the realities of the business."
"He is a multidimensional executive and entrepreneur, who possesses a deep love of music and an incredibly successful track record in building the careers of premiere artists. He has the talent and commitment to help take these two great companies to new heights."
Weiss will now oversee the careers of stars including Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Nicki Minaj.
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending