Barry Weiss Takes Over L.A. Reid's Record Label
Music mogul L.A. Reid has handed over the reigns of his record label to Britney Spears' boss Barry Weiss after signing up to be a star judge on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor". The record executive and producer, who gave Usher and Justin Bieber their big breaks, is taking a seat on "The X Factor (US)", and he has quit his job as chairman and CEO of Island Def Jam and Universal Motown to concentrate on his new TV mentor role.
Replacing him will be Weiss, who joins the label after several years in charge of Jive, the label in charge of Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, Kelly Clarkson and Kings of Leon. Lucian Grange, chairman of the Universal Music Group, says, "Throughout his career, Barry achieved that rare and delicate balance between managing artistic needs and the realities of the business."
"He is a multidimensional executive and entrepreneur, who possesses a deep love of music and an incredibly successful track record in building the careers of premiere artists. He has the talent and commitment to help take these two great companies to new heights."
Weiss will now oversee the careers of stars including Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Nicki Minaj.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed