Barry Weiss Takes Over L.A. Reid's Record Label
Music mogul L.A. Reid has handed over the reigns of his record label to Britney Spears' boss Barry Weiss after signing up to be a star judge on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor". The record executive and producer, who gave Usher and Justin Bieber their big breaks, is taking a seat on "The X Factor (US)", and he has quit his job as chairman and CEO of Island Def Jam and Universal Motown to concentrate on his new TV mentor role.
Replacing him will be Weiss, who joins the label after several years in charge of Jive, the label in charge of Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, Kelly Clarkson and Kings of Leon. Lucian Grange, chairman of the Universal Music Group, says, "Throughout his career, Barry achieved that rare and delicate balance between managing artistic needs and the realities of the business."
"He is a multidimensional executive and entrepreneur, who possesses a deep love of music and an incredibly successful track record in building the careers of premiere artists. He has the talent and commitment to help take these two great companies to new heights."
Weiss will now oversee the careers of stars including Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Nicki Minaj.
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media