Barry Weiss Takes Over L.A. Reid's Record Label
Music mogul L.A. Reid has handed over the reigns of his record label to Britney Spears' boss Barry Weiss after signing up to be a star judge on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor". The record executive and producer, who gave Usher and Justin Bieber their big breaks, is taking a seat on "The X Factor (US)", and he has quit his job as chairman and CEO of Island Def Jam and Universal Motown to concentrate on his new TV mentor role.
Replacing him will be Weiss, who joins the label after several years in charge of Jive, the label in charge of Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, Kelly Clarkson and Kings of Leon. Lucian Grange, chairman of the Universal Music Group, says, "Throughout his career, Barry achieved that rare and delicate balance between managing artistic needs and the realities of the business."
"He is a multidimensional executive and entrepreneur, who possesses a deep love of music and an incredibly successful track record in building the careers of premiere artists. He has the talent and commitment to help take these two great companies to new heights."
Weiss will now oversee the careers of stars including Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Nicki Minaj.
- Iggy Azalea and French Montana Are Pictured Kissing as a Source Confirms Their Relationship
- It's Official: 'Pretty Little Liars' to End With Season 7, 'Grimm' Canceled After 6 Seasons
- Red Band Trailer for 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' Sees Halle Berry as the Comedian's Bond Girl
- Watch Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj Ooze Sexiness in 'Side to Side' Video
- Is Kanye West Trying to Make Up With Taylor Swift With This Picture?
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Ben Affleck's Batman May Face Off Deathstroke in Solo Movie
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account