Barry Weiss Takes Over L.A. Reid's Record Label
Music mogul L.A. Reid has handed over the reigns of his record label to Britney Spears' boss Barry Weiss after signing up to be a star judge on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor". The record executive and producer, who gave Usher and Justin Bieber their big breaks, is taking a seat on "The X Factor (US)", and he has quit his job as chairman and CEO of Island Def Jam and Universal Motown to concentrate on his new TV mentor role.
Replacing him will be Weiss, who joins the label after several years in charge of Jive, the label in charge of Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, Kelly Clarkson and Kings of Leon. Lucian Grange, chairman of the Universal Music Group, says, "Throughout his career, Barry achieved that rare and delicate balance between managing artistic needs and the realities of the business."
"He is a multidimensional executive and entrepreneur, who possesses a deep love of music and an incredibly successful track record in building the careers of premiere artists. He has the talent and commitment to help take these two great companies to new heights."
Weiss will now oversee the careers of stars including Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Nicki Minaj.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics