Solange Knowles and Son Raise Money for Japan Earthquake Victims
Solange Knowles has been inspired by her young son's artwork to launch a collection of items designed specifically to raise money for the Japanese disaster relief fund. Beyonce Knowles' younger sister woke up to the news of last Friday's, March 11, double devastation and watched in horror with six-year-old Julez as footage of the tragedy aired on local news channels.
And the kid was so moved by the earthquake and tsunami, his mum decided to help the youngster create products to sell around their Los Angeles neighborhood. She tells WENN, "Me and my son, we are on the west coast still, we woke up on the morning of the earthquake and tsunami, at around six o' clock that morning, and were watching it on television."
"He was very affected by it and asked a lot of questions and we decided we wanted to do something together to help. So we actually are in the process, we're almost done... He did a watercolor of the Japanese flag and we're making shirts and totes [bags] and note cards and we're gonna sell them locally here and donate the proceeds. We're really excited about it."
Knowles is the latest celebrity to do their bit for charity to aid the Japanese relief effort, Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and Linkin Park have all pledged profits from the sale of merchandise, clothing and wristbands to help survivors.
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake Presents Rihanna With Video Vanguard Award
- MTV VMAs 2016: Jimmy Fallon Appears Onstage as Ryan Lochte, Throws Major Shade at Him
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Leads Full List of Winners With Six Trophies
- MTV VMAs 2016: Future Performs 'F**k Up Some Commas', Nick Jonas Brings 'Bacon'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Reenacts 'Lemonade' Visuals, Britney Spears Slays 'Make Me'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Alicia Keys Goes Make Up Free as She Honors MLK With a Poem
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger