Mel Gibson Books Battery Charges Formalities
Embattled actor Mel Gibson made his simple battery charge official on Wednesday night, March 16, after completing the booking formalities at a Los Angeles police station. The "Braveheart" star was formally charged with the misdemeanor in court last Friday, March 11, and was sentenced to three years probation and a year of counseling after pleading no contest to the count.
The charge stemmed from accusations filed against him by his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva, who claimed Gibson attacked her during a heated argument in January 2010.
Judge Stephanie Sautner ordered the actor-director to turn himself in for booking within a week and he complied by stopping by the El Segundo Police Department on Wednesday, when he had a new mug shot and fingerprints taken. Lieutenant Ray Garcia tells People, "Mr. Gibson was cooperative, he was photographed and fingerprinted at around 9.30pm and was gone in about half an hour."
The booking process explained Gibson's absence from a special screening of his new film, "The Beaver", at the South By Southwest arts festival and conference in Austin, Texas. During the event, director Jodie Foster defended the star and urged moviegoers to "appreciate" his onscreen performance instead of focusing on his personal troubles.
Gibson is currently battling Grigorieva for custody of their baby daughter, Lucia.
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard