Jack Johnson Offers 50,000 Dollars for Japan
Surfer dude-turned-singer-and-songwriter Jack Johnson has donated $50,000 to GlobalGiving's Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund after escaping the chaos in the Far East. The "To The Sea" hitmaker was in Osaka, Japan, preparing for a concert in the city, when the quake hit last week, March 11.
Feeling helpless as he watched TV images of the devastation, Johnson and his band decided to go ahead with the show and then canceled the rest of their Japanese tour. A post on Johnson's website reads, "The concert in Osaka took place as scheduled hours after the massive earthquake, as television images of the powerful tsunami began streaming in, revealing the magnitude of the devastation."
"Sendai, one of [the] cities hardest hit by the tsunami, was the next concert stop scheduled on the tour. The day following the earthquake and tsunami, Johnson canceled plans to travel to Tokyo for a media event because of rising concerns about the safety of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The band and crew remained in Osaka until the decision was made to postpone the remainder of the tour due to the tragedy."
"My family and I were in our hotel room on the 29th floor in Osaka when the earthquake hit. Although it was an extremely nerve-racking experience, it was nothing compared to what those closer to the epicenter are going through," Johnson adds.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the families that have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami. We are making a donation to help with the relief efforts and hope to be back in Japan soon to reunite with friends and play more music."
- Too Little, Too Late? Taylor Swift's Support for Women's March Is Met With Backlash
- Get First Look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison in 'Current War'
- Kylie Jenner Shows a Lot of Skin in Barely There Two-Piece
- Is Selena Gomez Begging for Justin Bieber's 'Blessing' to Date The Weeknd After JB Calls Him 'Wack'?
- 'Logan' Is Not Set in the Same 'X-Men' Universe, According to Hugh Jackman
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video