Jack Johnson Offers 50,000 Dollars for Japan
Surfer dude-turned-singer-and-songwriter Jack Johnson has donated $50,000 to GlobalGiving's Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund after escaping the chaos in the Far East. The "To The Sea" hitmaker was in Osaka, Japan, preparing for a concert in the city, when the quake hit last week, March 11.
Feeling helpless as he watched TV images of the devastation, Johnson and his band decided to go ahead with the show and then canceled the rest of their Japanese tour. A post on Johnson's website reads, "The concert in Osaka took place as scheduled hours after the massive earthquake, as television images of the powerful tsunami began streaming in, revealing the magnitude of the devastation."
"Sendai, one of [the] cities hardest hit by the tsunami, was the next concert stop scheduled on the tour. The day following the earthquake and tsunami, Johnson canceled plans to travel to Tokyo for a media event because of rising concerns about the safety of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The band and crew remained in Osaka until the decision was made to postpone the remainder of the tour due to the tragedy."
"My family and I were in our hotel room on the 29th floor in Osaka when the earthquake hit. Although it was an extremely nerve-racking experience, it was nothing compared to what those closer to the epicenter are going through," Johnson adds.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the families that have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami. We are making a donation to help with the relief efforts and hope to be back in Japan soon to reunite with friends and play more music."
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs
- Nicole Kidman Says She Was Too Young When She Married Tom Cruise
- Watch Trailer for 30 Seconds to Mars' 'Camp Mars: The Concert Film'
- Britney Spears Sucks Helium and Hilariously Sings a Taylor Swift Hit
- 'Twin Peaks' Debuts Extended Chilling Teaser Featuring Familiar Tune