Jack Johnson Offers 50,000 Dollars for Japan
Surfer dude-turned-singer-and-songwriter Jack Johnson has donated $50,000 to GlobalGiving's Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund after escaping the chaos in the Far East. The "To The Sea" hitmaker was in Osaka, Japan, preparing for a concert in the city, when the quake hit last week, March 11.
Feeling helpless as he watched TV images of the devastation, Johnson and his band decided to go ahead with the show and then canceled the rest of their Japanese tour. A post on Johnson's website reads, "The concert in Osaka took place as scheduled hours after the massive earthquake, as television images of the powerful tsunami began streaming in, revealing the magnitude of the devastation."
"Sendai, one of [the] cities hardest hit by the tsunami, was the next concert stop scheduled on the tour. The day following the earthquake and tsunami, Johnson canceled plans to travel to Tokyo for a media event because of rising concerns about the safety of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The band and crew remained in Osaka until the decision was made to postpone the remainder of the tour due to the tragedy."
"My family and I were in our hotel room on the 29th floor in Osaka when the earthquake hit. Although it was an extremely nerve-racking experience, it was nothing compared to what those closer to the epicenter are going through," Johnson adds.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the families that have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami. We are making a donation to help with the relief efforts and hope to be back in Japan soon to reunite with friends and play more music."
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna