Anson Williams' 'Stupid' Advice Helps Jane Lynch to Be Actor
"Glee" star Jane Lynch has "Happy Days" actor Anson Williams to partly thank for her first taste of showbusiness failure, because "stupid" advice he gave to her when she was 13 actually paid off.
A young Lynch called into a radio station in her native Chicago, Illinois to chat to Williams and co-star Ron Howard when they were promoting her favorite show, and she asked them for advice on making it as an actor. Howard suggested she join school drama groups and head out to Hollywood when she was older, while Williams had a more business-savvy option.
"He said, 'You go down to the Screen Actors Guild and you get the name of all the agents in the country and write them all letters and hopefully someone will sign you,' which is the stupidest thing to tell a 13 year old," the actress recalls."
"But I did it, I sent tons of letters... and I gave them all my school picture... and I got one reply from Universal Studios, from a casting director's assistant... She wrote me this horrible letter about, y'know, 'You're not a professional, we're not interested in young people...' I was over the moon about it... I was really excited about it, it was a great day."
"No one was gonna burst my bubble at that point."
- Is Rihanna's New Man Hassan Jameel the Reason Behind Her Alleged Feud With Naomi Campbell?
- MTV Responds to Criticism Over 'Teen Mom OG' Star Ryan Edwards' DUI Scene
- 'Riverdale' Season 2 May Introduce Toni Topaz
- Emily Blunt, Zoe Saldana and More Are Ponies and Manes in First Full Trailer for 'My Little Pony'
- Watch Steve Aoki, DVBBS and 2 Chainz's Futuristic Video for 'Without U'
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Jason Statham Welcome Baby Boy. See His First Picture!
- 'This Is Us' Ups Two Actors to Series Regulars for Season 2
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding