Anson Williams' 'Stupid' Advice Helps Jane Lynch to Be Actor
"Glee" star Jane Lynch has "Happy Days" actor Anson Williams to partly thank for her first taste of showbusiness failure, because "stupid" advice he gave to her when she was 13 actually paid off.
A young Lynch called into a radio station in her native Chicago, Illinois to chat to Williams and co-star Ron Howard when they were promoting her favorite show, and she asked them for advice on making it as an actor. Howard suggested she join school drama groups and head out to Hollywood when she was older, while Williams had a more business-savvy option.
"He said, 'You go down to the Screen Actors Guild and you get the name of all the agents in the country and write them all letters and hopefully someone will sign you,' which is the stupidest thing to tell a 13 year old," the actress recalls."
"But I did it, I sent tons of letters... and I gave them all my school picture... and I got one reply from Universal Studios, from a casting director's assistant... She wrote me this horrible letter about, y'know, 'You're not a professional, we're not interested in young people...' I was over the moon about it... I was really excited about it, it was a great day."
"No one was gonna burst my bubble at that point."
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones