Anson Williams' 'Stupid' Advice Helps Jane Lynch to Be Actor
"Glee" star Jane Lynch has "Happy Days" actor Anson Williams to partly thank for her first taste of showbusiness failure, because "stupid" advice he gave to her when she was 13 actually paid off.
A young Lynch called into a radio station in her native Chicago, Illinois to chat to Williams and co-star Ron Howard when they were promoting her favorite show, and she asked them for advice on making it as an actor. Howard suggested she join school drama groups and head out to Hollywood when she was older, while Williams had a more business-savvy option.
"He said, 'You go down to the Screen Actors Guild and you get the name of all the agents in the country and write them all letters and hopefully someone will sign you,' which is the stupidest thing to tell a 13 year old," the actress recalls."
"But I did it, I sent tons of letters... and I gave them all my school picture... and I got one reply from Universal Studios, from a casting director's assistant... She wrote me this horrible letter about, y'know, 'You're not a professional, we're not interested in young people...' I was over the moon about it... I was really excited about it, it was a great day."
"No one was gonna burst my bubble at that point."
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding