Smiley Culture Dies During Police Raid
British reggae star Smiley Culture has died during a police raid at his house. The singer-DJ, who had hits with "Police Officer" and "Cockney Translation" in the 1980s, passed away after suffering a stab wound after cops swooped on his home in Surrey, England on Tuesday, March 15.
In 2010, the 48-year-old, real name David Emmanuel, was charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine. It is not known if the raid is related to that case, but the U.K. police watchdog has launched an inquiry into the incident.
"As part of an ongoing operation, officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's serious and organized crime command today attended a residential address in east Surrey to carry out an arrest warrant," a Scotland Yard spokeswoman says.
"While they were at the address, an incident occurred during which a 48-year-old man died. Officers from Surrey Police attended the incident and it has been formally referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."
Smiley Culture is credited with paving the way for British rappers including Dizzee Rascal and The Streets star Mike Skinner.
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna