Smiley Culture Dies During Police Raid
British reggae star Smiley Culture has died during a police raid at his house. The singer-DJ, who had hits with "Police Officer" and "Cockney Translation" in the 1980s, passed away after suffering a stab wound after cops swooped on his home in Surrey, England on Tuesday, March 15.
In 2010, the 48-year-old, real name David Emmanuel, was charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine. It is not known if the raid is related to that case, but the U.K. police watchdog has launched an inquiry into the incident.
"As part of an ongoing operation, officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's serious and organized crime command today attended a residential address in east Surrey to carry out an arrest warrant," a Scotland Yard spokeswoman says.
"While they were at the address, an incident occurred during which a 48-year-old man died. Officers from Surrey Police attended the incident and it has been formally referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."
Smiley Culture is credited with paving the way for British rappers including Dizzee Rascal and The Streets star Mike Skinner.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked