Smiley Culture Dies During Police Raid
British reggae star Smiley Culture has died during a police raid at his house. The singer-DJ, who had hits with "Police Officer" and "Cockney Translation" in the 1980s, passed away after suffering a stab wound after cops swooped on his home in Surrey, England on Tuesday, March 15.
In 2010, the 48-year-old, real name David Emmanuel, was charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine. It is not known if the raid is related to that case, but the U.K. police watchdog has launched an inquiry into the incident.
"As part of an ongoing operation, officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's serious and organized crime command today attended a residential address in east Surrey to carry out an arrest warrant," a Scotland Yard spokeswoman says.
"While they were at the address, an incident occurred during which a 48-year-old man died. Officers from Surrey Police attended the incident and it has been formally referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."
Smiley Culture is credited with paving the way for British rappers including Dizzee Rascal and The Streets star Mike Skinner.
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'