Smiley Culture Dies During Police Raid
British reggae star Smiley Culture has died during a police raid at his house. The singer-DJ, who had hits with "Police Officer" and "Cockney Translation" in the 1980s, passed away after suffering a stab wound after cops swooped on his home in Surrey, England on Tuesday, March 15.
In 2010, the 48-year-old, real name David Emmanuel, was charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine. It is not known if the raid is related to that case, but the U.K. police watchdog has launched an inquiry into the incident.
"As part of an ongoing operation, officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's serious and organized crime command today attended a residential address in east Surrey to carry out an arrest warrant," a Scotland Yard spokeswoman says.
"While they were at the address, an incident occurred during which a 48-year-old man died. Officers from Surrey Police attended the incident and it has been formally referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."
Smiley Culture is credited with paving the way for British rappers including Dizzee Rascal and The Streets star Mike Skinner.
- Tyra Banks Accused of Abusing a Girl on 'America's Got Talent'
- Kanye West Is 'Humiliated' by Kim Kardashian's Deflated Butt
- Fergie Signs With BMG After Quitting Interscope
- Celine Dion, J.Lo, Mariah Carey and Backstreet Boys Will Not Cancel Vegas Shows Despite ISIS Threat
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Enjoy Night Out in Cannes
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Enjoying 'Wild Sex' in Cannes
- Mariah Carey Is Slammed by Co-Star for Alleged 'Bananas' Behaviour on 'The House' Filming Set
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Begins Mandatory Military Service