Smiley Culture Dies During Police Raid
British reggae star Smiley Culture has died during a police raid at his house. The singer-DJ, who had hits with "Police Officer" and "Cockney Translation" in the 1980s, passed away after suffering a stab wound after cops swooped on his home in Surrey, England on Tuesday, March 15.
In 2010, the 48-year-old, real name David Emmanuel, was charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine. It is not known if the raid is related to that case, but the U.K. police watchdog has launched an inquiry into the incident.
"As part of an ongoing operation, officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's serious and organized crime command today attended a residential address in east Surrey to carry out an arrest warrant," a Scotland Yard spokeswoman says.
"While they were at the address, an incident occurred during which a 48-year-old man died. Officers from Surrey Police attended the incident and it has been formally referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."
Smiley Culture is credited with paving the way for British rappers including Dizzee Rascal and The Streets star Mike Skinner.
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'