Daughter Defends Robert Hughes Against Child Molestation
The daughter of Australian actor Robert Hughes has spoken out in defense of her father, insisting she is "appalled and outraged" by "untrue" allegations the TV star molested his niece. In 2010, former child star Sarah Monahan accused Hughes - who played her father in hit sitcom "Hey Dad!" - of acting inappropriately towards her during filming in the early 1990s, a claim he vehemently denied.
Hughes' niece Melinda O'Donnell came forward over the weekend with her own allegations, accusing the veteran star of indecently touching her when she was a child. Now Hughes' daughter Jessica has spoken out about the claims, insisting money is the real motive behind the accusations. She says in a statement, "I am appalled and outraged about claims made on national television regarding my father and my childhood..."
"My father is a good man and I have had nothing but a happy, safe and supportive family life. I have no doubt that the allegations against my father are untrue. For my father to have his reputation destroyed for the sake of a ratings war is something no reasonable person should find acceptable. One has to question the motives of people reportedly paid to give interviews now, having never spoken before."
"I hope my father takes the appropriate action against the people who have jumped on this apparently lucrative bandwagon for their 15 minutes of fame."
Monahan has threatened to take legal action against Hughes as police still continue to investigate her claims, while the actor has also threatened to sue over the allegations.
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC
- Watch Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Shed Tears in 'Wolves' Music Video
- Amber Rose Reveals Wiz Khalifa Puts His Sperm on Her Face While They're Having Sex
- Emma Roberts Is Mad Diva in 'Scream Queens' Season 2 Promo
- Katy Perry Credits Boyfriend Orlando Bloom for Helping Write Her DNC Speech
- Disney Gives 'Rocketeer' a Reboot With Exciting Twist - Get the Deets Here!