Richard Hatch Sent Back to Jail for Evading Tax
Troubled U.S. reality TV star Richard Hatch has been sentenced to a further nine months in prison after violating the terms of his probation for tax evasion. Hatch was convicted in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on the $1 million prize he won after appearing on the first season of America's "Survivor".
He walked free from a Massachusetts prison in October 2009, after completing a three-year federal sentence for the crime, and was ordered to refile and pay the owed fees on show winnings and other income. But Hatch did not refile his 2000 and 2001 tax returns - prompting Rhode Island's U.S. District Court Judge William Smith to send him back behind bars on Friday, March 11.
Judge Smith ordered Hatch to report to authorities on Monday to begin his sentence. He will also serve 26 months on supervised probation following his release. The embattled star owes an estimated $2 million to the Internal Revenue service, including interest and penalties.
Hatch is currently appearing on another reality TV show - Donald Trump's pre-taped "The Celebrity Apprentice" - which began airing in the U.S. earlier this month.
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones