'The Wire' Creator Defends Castmember Over Drugs Accusations
"The Wire" creator David Simon has come to the defence of former castmember Felicia Pearson following her arrest in a drugs bust in March urging fans not to judge her too harshly. The star, who played narcotics dealer Snoop in the hit TV series, was detained by cops in Baltimore, Maryland on Thursday, March 10, along with 30 other suspects, as officers swooped on an alleged drug ring.
Former police reporter Simon, who created and wrote the popular show, has now spoken out about Pearson's arrest, insisting her tough background is to blame for her problems. He says in a statement, "Felicia's entitled to the presumption of innocence...I'm certainly sad at the news today. This young lady has, from her earliest moments, had one of the hardest lives imaginable."
"And whatever good fortune came from her role in 'The Wire' seems, in retrospect, limited to that project. She worked hard as an actor and was entirely professional, but the entertainment industry as a whole does not offer a great many roles for those who can portray people from the other America..."
"Both our Constitution and our common law guarantee that we will be judged by our peers. But in truth, there are now two Americas, politically and economically distinct. I, for one, do not qualify as a peer to Felicia Pearson."
"The opportunities and experiences of her life do not correspond in any way with my own, and her America is different from my own. I am therefore ill-equipped to be her judge in this matter."
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Heading to 'SNL' as First-Time Host
- 'Lion King' Gets a Remake From Disney and Jon Favreau
- Robin Hood Confirmed to Return for 'Once Upon a Time' Season 6
- New David Bowie Greatest Hits Album Announced
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role