Simon Cowell: I'm a Big Fan of the Latest 'American Idol'
Movie mogul Simon Cowell has broken his silence about the new season of "American Idol", and he's a big fan. The Brit quit as a judge on the show last May 2010 and his departure prompted an overhaul of the talent contest.
Rocker Steven Tyler and singer-actress Jennifer Lopez were hired and, together with fellow judge Randy Jackson, they've spiked ratings and become a critical sensation. And now Cowell admits J.Lo and Tyler have revamped the talent contest, and he likes what he sees.
"I personally think it is a better show than last year," Cowell says in a taped interview with newsman Piers Morgan, which will air on CNN on March 14. "I genuinely do. I think what they've got is that it feels to me that they've got their energy back, that they're confident, that they're competitive."
And he admits the show was slowly dying when he decided it was time to quit, because it no longer featured the original three judges, himself, Jackson and Paula Abdul. He adds, "I always think of Idol really as me, Paula, and Randy, and I think when other people were brought in, and Paula wasn't there, it was, to me, like being on a different show...weird atmosphere."
Cowell is now planning to take over American TV again with a U.S. version of his hit British show "The X Factor", which will launch later in 2011.
More American Idol News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding