Hayley Westenra Scraps New Zealand Tour to 'Help' Her Hometown
Singer Hayley Westenra has postponed an upcoming tour of her native New Zealand and will instead stage a huge benefit concert to help the survivors of the Christchurch earthquake. The soprano, who hails from Christchurch, was in London when the 7.1-magnitude earthquake shook her hometown last month, killing more than 160 people.
Westenra was unable to contact her family for hours after the tragedy and the devastation is weighing so heavily on her she has been forced to scrap a series of appearances and commitments and head home. And now she is working on a huge fundraising show in Auckland with all proceeds going to earthquake relief.
She also plans to stage a free show for Christchurch locals in a bid to boost morale. Westenra says, "As a Christchurch girl I am still in shock about what has happened to my beautiful home town. My heart breaks just thinking about those who have lost their lives and the families and friends that are now suffering. Putting on these concerts is the best way I know to help - it's my way of giving back to the city that means so much to me."
- 'Stranger Things': Here's What Upside Down Is According to the Child Actors
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Grab Breakfast Sans Kids Amid Rumor They Call Off Divorce
- Cheryl's Mom Fuels Rumors Singer Is Expecting a Child With Liam Payne
- Lionsgate Is Open for More 'Twilight' Sequels
- Cara Delevingne Nearly Topless in Ripped Top for Puma Campaign
- See Tom Brady Sunbathing Completely Naked During Vacation With Gisele Bundchen
- Everyone Is Excited to Meet Superman in New 'Supergirl' Season 2 Sneak Peeks
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch